Rear Drum Brakes - where does this go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

klaird

Apprentice
May 14, 2013
So I am reassembling rear drum brakes. I am putting back together from a tear apart with a box of parts not labeled. Can someone tell me where this part goes and whether it's needed? I know it goes either in front of the dust shield/backing plate or behind it, but don't know exactly where....Any diagrams? Is it even a necessary part? This goes with the bolt/anchor pin that connects the brake springs...

Attachments

• spacer.JPG
    spacer.JPG
    824.2 KB · Views: 605

monte olrac

G-Body Guru
Feb 11, 2009
Wichita damn Falls Tx.
it goes in front of the backing plate and if i remember correctly it sits horizontal, can say if you can discard it or not but i would use it since you have it

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
That goes on the face of the backing plate under the anchor bolt. The back of the backing plate goes up against the flange on the rear axle

Stock%20Drum%20Axle%20Flange.jpg

klaird

Apprentice
May 14, 2013
PointiacGP, is this correct? I put it against the face of the backing plate between the achor pin and the backing plate. This essentially places the anchor pin closer to the wheel.

Attachments

• anchor pin spacer closeup.JPG
    anchor pin spacer closeup.JPG
    596 KB · Views: 645
  • anchor pin spacer far out.JPG
    anchor pin spacer far out.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 610

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
That looks right to me, take the brake cylinder and there are two fingers that sit on that plate and make sure the cylinder sits properly

klaird

Apprentice
May 14, 2013
THanks, FYI I never heard back anything from the National Bearing (BCA) manufacturer regarding that axle saver bearing with the inside seal, so I'm going to install it just as it is next...

klaird

Apprentice
May 14, 2013
SS BrewskyAZ, thanks, I had the wrong side of my dust shield contacting the axle housing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor