rear end advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

84cutty

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 3, 2008
St. Helen, MI
Hope someone has delt with this and can help, I have an 84 Cutlass 7.5" rear end 26 spline rear axle, today I decided to put in a pos unit out of a 99 blazer with 3.73 ring and pinion, the splines in the posi unit are 28, know I need 28 spline rear axles. will 8.5" 28 spline rear axles work in a 7.5" rear end? what other options do I have?

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
8.5's won't work. IIRC the 7.625 rear that came in the monte ss had 28 spline axles.
do you know what kind of posi it is? most from that year/car are the "gov-loc" style, which is a complete piece of sh*t. i know people who blew them on a lift!

v8power

G-Body Guru
Aug 24, 2007
green bay WI
8.5's won't work. IIRC the 7.625 rear that came in the monte ss had 28 spline axles.
do you know what kind of posi it is? most from that year/car are the "gov-loc" style, which is a complete piece of sh*t. i know people who blew them on a lift!

ya them ratchet style posi units are not worth even putting in, but its your call. they are known for kicking in and out of posi, then self destructing and leaving you stuck at the scene of the burnout to just did in front of your high school

robnoxiousauto

Apprentice
Jun 28, 2008
Victoria B.C. Canada
lol up here we like to call em tick tock posi's because they are like a time bomb . You know they are gonna explode but when ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor