rear end gear ratios for 87 cutlass

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, when I had the 2.41 gears and the 355, the car was awesome from an 80 mph roll, but got smoked at anything slower than that!

( The $100 I spent on the 3.23 axle was the best money I have ever spent on that car!)

The 2.14 came with 307 3spd., 2.29 with 305 3 and 4spds and 307 4 spds., 2.41 with some v8 4 spds., 2.41 for v6 3 spd, and 2.56 for v6 4 spd. Don't qoute me, I believe this is right, with exceptions.

I have a 2.29:1 gear in my 7.5" peg leg right now.
I am buying a 7.5" rear with new bearings,3.08:1 gear,posi for $300.Complete drum to drum.Even has the chrome cover.
I hope that gets it moving quicker off the line.
God,my 2.29 is pokey,imagine a 2.14!!!

Furtrader said:
I have a 2.29:1 gear in my 7.5" peg leg right now.
I had the same set up in mine when it was stock. Going to lower gears and posi is the best money you can spend! I felt like I picked up a 100 HP, not to mention I chirp through all three gears! :lol:

I was at the junkyard and walked past a rear just sitting there. I had to look, 1.94 :shock:, I'm geussing that is the ratio

2:14 + overdive wont give you a good top end speed ...because not enough power to overcome the air restriction ....

My 88 Cutlass came stock with a 2.56 and the 200-4r.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor