Rear end gears?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grandprixpaul

Master Mechanic
Mar 27, 2011
Commerce township , mi
I have a 1987 grand prix with a 350-sbc-366hp, and a 350 turbo trans with shift kit heavy duty built for street- strip 2000 stall converter , what will be the best all around posi gears for rear end , I keep hearing 373 , but want to hear from somepeople about it before I start looking for it , and how do I know if I find a unit for sale that it is a 373 is it stamped? Thanks paul

cuttybuddyluva

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 31, 2011
3.73 (SS's) would be great for a cutty same ones i put in my cutty and i have a 305 bored .30 and it gets up. You have bigger ones like 4.10 (Chevelles) and 4.26 for (Drag) and smaller ones like 3.26 (Camaro) but just stay away from anything lower cause the SUCK! . everyone told me to renforce my rear.....Heavy duty springs, new shocks etc....and match your unit i think its a 7.5 10 bolt but you need a posi so try finding camaro or monte carlo with a posi unit and swap guts. Use new bearings!

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
Grandprixpaul said:
I have a 1987 grand prix with a 350-sbc-366hp, and a 350 turbo trans with shift kit heavy duty built for street- strip 2000 stall converter , what will be the best all around posi gears for rear end , I keep hearing 373 , but want to hear from somepeople about it before I start looking for it , and how do I know if I find a unit for sale that it is a 373 is it stamped? Thanks paul

That all depends on your goals and what you're trying to build. Is this a street car, track car, do you give a $hit about gas mileage, or are you trying to strike a good overall balance?

Running a 3.73 with a 3 speed trans will turn your car into a buzzbomb at highway speeds.....like 3200 rpms at 65mph with a 26" tire, not fun at all. Personally i wouldn't use a 3.42 or 3.73 without an OD trans in a car that I do much commuting with, especially since we're getting our *ss handed to us with gas prices again.

Here's the trans ratios http://www.montecarloss.com/SSThunder/drivetrain.html
Here's an rpm calculator http://www.csgnetwork.com/multirpmcalc.html

I'd suggest playing around with the numbers to make a decision on what rpm range you intend to use the car and pick what's suitable.

To figure out what gear ring and pinion theres two ways to do it. One way is counting the teeth on the ring and divide it by the number of teeth on the pinion. The easy way is to look for the numbers stamped on the ring. For instance if you see the numbers 12/41 on the ring it's a 3.42. 41/12= 3.42 get it? 41 is the number of teeth on the ring, 12 is the number on the pinion. A 3.73 would be 11/41, 3.08 would be 13/40, etc.

I've been contemplating a rear end change for awhile and I've been looking for the most cost efficient route without sacrificing reliability & performance.

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
Gbodyvet ditto

Grandprixpaul

Master Mechanic
Mar 27, 2011
Commerce township , mi
Thanks for the info guys , I am looking for a 8.5 posi just wasn't sure what gearing I would want, would like to take to strip little street race got to keep these ricers in check, but decently not a daily driver thanks guys

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
the bolts support the bearing caps...the way the gears are cut the crown is forced outwards putting pressure on the caps

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
With that much power I would reccomend anything from 3.08s to 3.73s. To the guy who said anything lower than 3.42s suck a 305 has no torque to begin with so yea there gonna be sluggish but put power behind it and you dont have to rely on your gears to get you going :mrgreen: . I know a guy with a 69 442 (455 BBO) with a 12 bolt runnin 3.08s and he runs a 12.9 in the 1/4. Thats why I love the saying " Horsepower sells engines, torque wins races!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor