Rear-End Options?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chillin014

Master Mechanic
Nov 9, 2007
houston/richmond tx
Been reading around a little bit on other forums and the like. I've decided I'm going to take my rear-end and parts to a shop for rebuilding. The shop I have experience with charges 275 so I think it'll be worth it just to save myself the headaches. I'm going to order this Strange ring and pinion and drop this thing off.

Chillin014

Master Mechanic
Nov 9, 2007
houston/richmond tx
I'm still looking at ring and pinion gears and decided to search ebay and there are a few sellers that have OEM ring and pinion gears (3.73). This guy claims that they are better quality than aftermarket. Would an OEM set be sufficient for my set-up? It didn't sound like R&P were necessarily weak links in regards to the power going through them. Thanks.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... MEWAX%3AIT

Chillin014

Master Mechanic
Nov 9, 2007
houston/richmond tx
Alright, I dont know if I'm just getting raped or what the deal is. I called SummitRacing to ask about the ring and pinion installation kits and got into talking about my set-up. He made it sound like putting in this used ring and pinion was a bad idea and that I paid way too much for it. Of course the guy at the shop trying to sell me the ring and pinion said its in great condition and there's no reason it shouldn't handle the power since the LS1 Camaro guys are putting plenty of power through them stock. My untrained eye can not see anything wrong with the ring and pinion but now the head bearing size is in question to determine which rebuild-kit to buy. Apparently there was a 3 inch bearing and a 3.12 or something.

Called the guy I bought the R&P from and he's saying "big bearing, big bearing, it doesn't really matter because the race etc etc". We shall see....

art

Greasemonkey
Apr 24, 2009
Absecon, New Jersey
The guys at Summit are in the business of selling parts, so if you listen to them, you will buy more stuff right? I run used everything, gears included. The stuff you need to install your gears isn't very expensive. A crush collar, some shims (pinion and carrier), a pinion seal and some marking compound to set the pattern. If you are having trouble getting that stuff try calling the guy I get all my stuff from. His name is Jim 330-659-7117. He lives in Ohio and he does rears for a living. Knowlegdeable and fair priced. He will help you and get you the right stuff the first time.

Chillin014

Master Mechanic
Nov 9, 2007
houston/richmond tx
yeah that's what I thought too...but then again it's not like the guy who sold me the Ring and Pinion was unbiased either. Screw it, I'm using it. Thanks for the references. What I was looking at was those kits summit sells for a hundred bucks. I'm dropping this off at a rear-end shop so I just kind of want to dump all the parts on them and let them deal with it.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
if you're dropping it off at a rear end shop then they'd have the bearing kit for your application.

Chillin014

Master Mechanic
Nov 9, 2007
houston/richmond tx
The shop I was originally planning on using said they did not. I am considering using another closer guy but would still like to be able to hand him everything and be done with it rather than being charged more because he had to use some part from his inventory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor