Rear-End Options?

Status
Not open for further replies.

79loserbluebu

G-Body Guru
May 9, 2009
Illinois
Yep, 28 splined axles will slide right in on there. Just to keep on the same thread, anyone have any suggestions for upgrading non-posi 8.5" GN/442/Regal rear ends? I found a couple Auburn units similar to the 7.5" posted above. I found somewhere that people are making 10 second passes on the stock rear end, problem is I have no idea what kind of unit came in those rear ends.

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
Swartz Creek, MI/Tucson, AZ
Yep, if a built 7.5" can take 11-second passes, I'd definitely expect to be capable of 10s with an 8.5". I'm pretty sure the G-Body 8.5 isn't a special animal, so most 8.5" parts should fit, just be sure to use the correct axleshafts.

79loserbluebu

G-Body Guru
May 9, 2009
Illinois
Cool 8)

Found a 2 series 8.5" posi on eBay for 200 so maybe I'll pick up the spacer since its going to be seeing mainly street use

Chillin014

Master Mechanic
Nov 9, 2007
houston/richmond tx
http://houston.craigslist.org/pts/1620232609.html

what is the verdict on the Trans Am 8.5's? More trouble than its worth? It says "2.56" gear though...that is super low.

edit- Received my differential in the mail today! So now I'm trying to chose between 3.73 or 4.11 gears. I think I'm just going to go with the 4.11 even if I dont switch to a t56 right away. The cruising speeds from between 1500-2500 rpm don't differ enough to justify going with the 3.73.

I'm assuming my fifth gear is a .63.

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
Swartz Creek, MI/Tucson, AZ
They're leaf sprung so unless you weld LCA mounts & coil spring perches, and can manage to weld a pair of UCA mounts to them (you typically don't weld on cast iron), they won't work.

Chillin014

Master Mechanic
Nov 9, 2007
houston/richmond tx
Doober, were you looking at Moser axles from summit? I can't figure out which part number is right for my application using that 7.5 28 spline posi I bought.

After that all I should need to buy is an installation kit and a gear...I was planning on going with a 4.11 gear when I thought I was going to upgrade to a t56 but if I can beef up my t5 I may not. As far as the 5th gear calculations went there wasn't really that big of a difference between the 3.73 and 4.11 gears but what I have yet to figure out is how that is going to effect the lower gears and if first gear is going to be practical or not.

Chillin014

Master Mechanic
Nov 9, 2007
houston/richmond tx
thanks. just bought the Mosers!

Decided I'm going to go with a 3.73 gear too just because I think I'm keeping the t5 for now and after some calculations I'm pretty confident it's still going to rip *ss without being impractical for daily driving.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor