Rear gear 2.56 to 3.73

Status
Not open for further replies.

88cscb

Greasemonkey
Jan 2, 2013
PA
hello all. Im wanting to change out my rear gears from 2.56 factory highway gears to a jegs or summit 3.73 Ring & Pinion. Would prefer just to keep the stock housing as I plan to keep the 307 4BBL, just looking for a little more gusto off the line. I already have a 200R4, so im not too concerned with high rpm or gas mileage.

Any body had this done?
And if so are you happy/was there noticeable improvement in getty-up?

I watched some videos of this being done right, and Im not attempting it myself, as I dont have a lift and dont want to get the thing 1/2 apart to find out i dont have the tools to complete the job! I assume a reputable transmission shop could do this?

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
88cscb said:
hello all. Im wanting to change out my rear gears from 2.56 factory highway gears to a jegs or summit 3.73 Ring & Pinion. Would prefer just to keep the stock housing as I plan to keep the 307 4BBL, just looking for a little more gusto off the line. I already have a 200R4, so im not too concerned with high rpm or gas mileage.

Any body had this done?
And if so are you happy/was there noticeable improvement in getty-up?

I watched some videos of this being done right, and Im not attempting it myself, as I dont have a lift and dont want to get the thing 1/2 apart to find out i dont have the tools to complete the job! I assume a reputable transmission shop could do this?

The difference will be very noticeable and I think you're going to like it. If your car isn't a daily driver, I would buy the tools, do the work yourself and take your time with it. Beware of cookie cutter transmission shops like aamco. I don't like or trust them and would look for a driveline shop that specializes in rear end work. Don't forget to change the driven speedo gear in your trans.

88cscb

Greasemonkey
Jan 2, 2013
PA
The difference will be very noticeable and I think you're going to like it. If your car isn't a daily driver, I would buy the tools, do the work yourself and take your time with it. Beware of cookie cutter transmission shops like aamco. I don't like or trust them and would look for a driveline shop that specializes in rear end work. Don't forget to change the driven speedo gear in your trans.[/quote]

Thanks for the advice. I do worry about a shop jacking it up. The rear end it quiet as a mouse right now, I worry about them screwing up the lash or the bearing gaps and having a rear end that whines. I also dont like to leave the car anywhere over night, it sits in my garage all the time covered Defrinately will not use Aammco or something like that. My regular guy said he would nt open one up, but would swap a whole Rear...which I dont want to do

UgotBronx

Greasemonkey
Nov 10, 2012
NY
You will be very happy once it's done. And I agree get a specialty shop to do the rear. You'll have a peace of mind and a small warranty with it all. I paid a little over $600 for the whole job but it was worth it.

88cscb

Greasemonkey
Jan 2, 2013
PA
Ok, I know this is an inexperienced question ( I haven't wrenched my own car since college). Where is the gear to adjust the speedo for the rear gear ratio change?

crucial118

Royal Smart Person
Nov 15, 2008
MARYLAND, DMV
88cscb said:
Ok, I know this is an inexperienced question ( I haven't wrenched my own car since college). Where is the gear to adjust the speedo for the rear gear ratio change?
In the trans, where the speedo cable attaches to.

88cscb

Greasemonkey
Jan 2, 2013
PA
Looked on rock auto, no dice. Will keep looking thanks.

crucial118

Royal Smart Person
Nov 15, 2008
MARYLAND, DMV
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor