rear lift?

Status
Not open for further replies.

4carhauler

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 5, 2014
I am planning on lifting the rear of my car for several different reasons, and I see that a few folks on here have done rear lifts on their g-bodys, so I am asking for help.

I have spent plenty of time searching and cant seem to find the answers I want.

The question is, what are my options to do this? I'm looking for a 2-3" height increase.

I have heard of people using air shocks but I feel like that must be a terrible ride. Also i dont know how much that will raise the car.

I also saw reference to using springs from a different model car, but that topic didnt go anywhere.

Has anybody used something along the lines of a coil spring spacer to do this?

I am sure most of you guys will think it's a bad idea to do this but any info is appreciated.

565bbchevy

Geezer
G-Body of the Month
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Well, I am one of those guys that thinks there is no reason to raise the rear of your car 2-3 inches.
If it is to fit wider tires then the proper way would be to notch the rear frame and buy rims with more backspacing.
That being said I would not use any coil spring spacers (that fit in between the coils) or air shocks the ride would be very stiff at that ride height.
There might be a coil spring spacer adapter that sits on top of the coil spring mount that is welded on top of the rearend that would raise the spring up from the bottom or maybe something like this: http://www.4wheelparts.com/Lift-Kits-Su ... MwodCzQACA

Or I would find a coil spring of similar design and rate that is a couple inches taller and if you need to go higher install some properly sized airbags inside the coil springs and run separate air lines so it does not sway on turns.
Keep in mind raising the rear of your car up to 3 inches will change your pinion angle and also how much the yolk of your driveshaft engages the trans tailshaft.
Adjusting the pinion angle will require rear adjustable upper control arms with a "roto-joint" or similar design on one end ( usually around $200+) and also the tools and required knowledge to set the angle properly.
So I have to ask why you feel this is something you need to do to your car?

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 378

4carhauler

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 5, 2014
I'm going with a very 80s look on the car. I like the old school snowplow look, plus I intend to run 295-50-15's in the rear with little back spacing to stick out slightly. Also, exhaust in front of the rear wheels, which i know normally has clearance problems.

I understand that my plans are not very trendy right now but thats just what I want to do.

Thanks for your input

565bbchevy

Geezer
G-Body of the Month
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
My previous rear tires were 295/65R15 on an 8.5 rim and my current tires are 295/55R15 on a 9.5 rim all while be tucked in on a lowered car with full exhaust and a notched rear frame.
The funny thing is the only reason I changed tire sizes is because the 65 series made it sit a little higher in the rear and it bothered me that the car was not level.
You will sacrifice a smooth ride and handling and as I mentioned throw your pinion angle off and I believe raising the rear that much will affect braking since you are pushing more weight towards the front of the car (but it will probably spin the rear tires easier) and I would love to talk you out of doing this but obviously it is your car and you may do what you like to it.
Another suggestion would be possibly rear shocks with overload springs (similar to below) but I don't know how much it will raise it.

Attachments

• 41-yMiuK7DL.jpg
    41-yMiuK7DL.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 319

Evan11

Royal Smart Person
Apr 17, 2009
Southern Indiana
air shocks

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor