rear off center

Status
Not open for further replies.

LS1GN

G-Body Guru
Aug 7, 2011
Central Florida
I just realized my Regal's rear end is offset toward the passenger side by 1/2 inch. So I checked my El Camino, its rear end is offset toward the passenger side by 1/2 inch also. What's the deal?

I've noticed this when putting on tires that were too close to the frame rails... I have more clearance on one side than the other... about 3/8" in towards that side

GM may have done it on purpose for pinion angle. or it's just the usual GM lack of attention to detail. (in other words, it's normal--i had the same question when i test fitted a B-body rear and found a number of people had the same issue with all their rears)

The engine/trans are off center (for the steering shaft). I guess the rear being off in the same direction gives the driveshaft a straighter run???

I really don't think the engineering on these cars went as far as making sure to line up the rear with the transmission but I'm not sure about the engine and tanny being off center. When you put a metric on the scales to set it up got the track the right side weight doesn't start off any heavier than the left side

pontiacgp said:
... I'm not sure about the engine and tanny being off center. When you put a metric on the scales to set it up got the track the right side weight doesn't start off any heavier than the left side

All four corners have different weights.

I had my '87 Regal COMPLETELY apart and was test fitting the new engine and locations for aftermarket motor mounts. The K member is offset to the passenger side for sure. it is not much, but it is noticeable. The centerline of the hood is NOT the centerline of the valley where the oil pan is. This is actually not uncommon in RWD vehicles.

I know my engine is offset to the passender side. You can tell by looking at my airpan that the ridge for my hood centerline is not centered in my airpan, which is obviously centered on the engine.

Attachments

• IMG_0096.JPG
    IMG_0096.JPG
    235.3 KB · Views: 852
LS1GN said:
pontiacgp said:
... I'm not sure about the engine and tanny being off center. When you put a metric on the scales to set it up got the track the right side weight doesn't start off any heavier than the left side

All four corners have different weights.

when I said scales that's one for each corner...and they measure the left and right weight bias along with other measurements

here's a metric chassis and there is no measurement showing any offset in the cross member

Metricframe.jpg

Remember that everything on these cars is mounted on rubber....lots of room for slop.

Like was said, with OE wheels/tires, nobody really notices the misalignment.

And it's not just these, every car board I have been on has discussed this

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor