rear seat question....

Status
Not open for further replies.

maliburacinfreak

Master Mechanic
Oct 7, 2005
Evansville, IN
Has anyone put a rear seat out of a sedan into a wagon? Is it even possible? Ive found an 84 bonneville sedan with perfect interior and want to put it all in my wagon. Having owned 4 malibu wagons so far, Ive never taken a rear seat out of any of them. The bottom is the same I assume, Im concerned about the back. How does it attach? Can the sedan seat be adapted? Or will I have to swap seat covers?

Lonnie,
The sedan seat is an entirely different animal. Don't forget that the wagon rear seat is made to fold down, and backed with a metal cargo floor continuation..
The only other way I can think of doing it, would be to strip the sedan back seat of it's upholstery, and try to rework it to fit the wagon rear seat. That might require having an auto upholstery guy do it.

Lonnie,
The sedan seat is an entirely different animal. Don't forget that the wagon rear seat is made to fold down, and backed with a metal cargo floor continuation..
The only other way I can think of doing it, would be to strip the sedan back seat of it's upholstery, and try to rework it to fit the wagon rear seat. That might require having an auto upholstery guy do it.

WHAT HE SAID!

Come to think of it, the sedan seat bottom may work...I've never tried it, but your chances of the bottom fitting are greater than the seat back fitting. Of course, you'll have to do the research on that.

Yep, pretty much what I expected to hear. 🙁 I'm sure the bottom should fit the same. Theres a trim shop just down the street from work that we deal with alot, I'll probably just take both seats to them and have the material swapped over. This bonneville interior is just too nice to pass up, I gotta make it work somehow! lol Jack, how does the seat back come out of a wagon? Ive taken them out of 2drs and 4drs plenty of times but never a wagon. I assume theres some kind of hinge that the seat folds down with, does it all just bolt to the floor or what? Thanks in advance!

Lonnie,
The seat back has a pivot on each side. If I remember correctly, one unbolts and the other side slips in a receiver using an allen type bolt with a nylon/ fiber bushing. . I'll have to take a look at mine again to refresh my memory.
It's a little awkward getting it out. I would remove the seat bottom first, then continue working on the seat back. Before removing the seat back, there's a drop down piece of the cargo floor that you may want to remove, just to make it easier to handle, and less awkward.
If the Bonneville upholstery is as clean as you said it is, then it's worth having the guy rework the seats.

is it possible to take the seat covers and transplant them?
Steve,
That's what I'm thinking. However, the shape of the seat(s) are different from the wagon to the sedan, or coupe. An upholstery guy would have to doing some creative stitching to take up the slack. The seat bottom, or seat bottom upholstery will probably fit...either whole, or with the upholstery removed from the Bonneville seat and transplanted to the wagon bottom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor