Rear shock upper bolt tool?

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I was struggling with those upper shock bolts that you need to get a wrench on. My 1980 Chevrolet FSM says the bolts go in from the bottom, and the nuts go on top. There is a funny picture in the FSM of a hand sticking up between the fender and tire holding the end of a wrench through the tiny opening to grab the nut. I find it easier to pass the bolt through the top and screw the nut on from the bottom. But you still need a wrench to get at the top and it is a pretty tight fit. Is there a tool for that? I was thinking of taking an old 1/2" distributor wrench and bending it to fit up there. That would make life easier and give better leverage too. How do you guys deal with this?

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
I've always just used either a 3/8" drive socket/ratchet or a combo wrench with the bent end... never really had an issue.

maybe a ratchet/reg. wrench with an adjustable angle end?

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Under the car with 18" or 24" extension on a ratchet (or air tool usually) on the bolt, small boxend wrench on the nut from the centerline of the car. Zip it up.

Basically in the middle of the car facing in to the perch to get it all done.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
Under the car with 18" or 24" extension on a ratchet (or air tool usually) on the bolt, small boxend wrench on the nut. Zip it up.
err yeah, this for the bottom, too. (thought you meant that top one)

Reactions: 1 user

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
err yeah, this for the bottom, too. (thought you meant that top one)
Yup, wrench on the nut and 24" of reach on the socket on the bolt to get them both in. Maybe a swivel too but that much extension clears anything in your way and can get on the bolt straight.

Bottom one on the Axle is right infront of most of you all, I have rear disc and the caliper is close.

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
There is a funny picture in the FSM of a hand sticking up between the fender and tire holding the end of a wrench through the tiny opening to grab the nut. I find it easier to pass the bolt through the top..
That spot where you would finger it through, you put the little wrench on the nut and hold it from there. Small gap but you can work with it.

I said what I said.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Yeah, its a pain in the butt but I just use a long box wrench at the top. Even more of a pain because I use prevailing torque lock nuts on everything suspension related. A bit harder to use over nylocks.

Reactions: 1 users

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Well, I went ahead and made the tool. I had a long handled 1/2" closed end distributor wrench that fit nothing I own. Pontiacs use 9/16". I can get way up there and just grab the bolt head from below, then tighten the nut with a long 1/2" socket on an extension from below. I'm still adjusting for the best angle but grabbing the head of the bolt is EZPZ now. I also make sure to only use stainless steel nuts and bolts on stuff like this with lots of anti-seize. I should have done this long ago!! IMG_0608.JPG

Local Hero

G-Body Guru
Nov 24, 2016
Northcoast, Cleveland, Ohio
If the bolts are rusty, I cut them off with the fire wrench. Then I drop the bolts in through the top and mount the bottom of the shock before cutting the shipping retaining strap that keep the shock compressed in the box. Cut the strap and guide it up into the bolts. Zip the nuts on with a longer extension on a ratchet. If I'm in a hurry, I use the air ratchet.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor