rear spoiler?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gbodyfever

Greasemonkey
Jun 19, 2007
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Ive seen many cutlass's with those certain same rear spoilers, i picked up a spoiler off a 85 firebird cuz i was told this is what people use..but it seems its going to be to short?becuase the outside bottom edge off the spoiler just almost touches the trunk but there is still a pretty big gap between the bottom of the bracket and the mounting studs is this the right spoiler or what are people using or doing to modify them to work? thanks.

this is the spoiler style and look im going for,

1381227_40_full.jpg

ss4ever

Greasemonkey
Jan 4, 2006
Shelbina, Missouri
You could pick one up from a 442, VERY similar but the 442 spoiler the mounting pedastals and the ends of the spoiler are all seperate pieces.

Randy

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
You are probably thinking of the 83-84 Hurst/Olds factory spoiler.I think Lauren Engineering still makes them.

kdolloff

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 9, 2007
kansas
I always thought people were just getting them off the hurst/olds. I think the might have came on salons to. At least one of my buddies did.

Furtrader

Master Mechanic
Jan 5, 2006
Ottawa,Ontario,Canada
The only Olds G body with a rear spoiler was the 83-84 Hurst/Olds.
442s did NOT come from the factory with rear spoilers.
Dealer installed is completely different,as in the 88 Cutlass GT.
Lauren Engineering makes repops.

Reactions: 1 user

HurstOlds

Master Mechanic
Sep 21, 2007
Illinois
gbodyfever said:
i picked up a spoiler off a 85 firebird cuz i was told this is what people use..but it seems its going to be to short?becuase the outside bottom edge off the spoiler just almost touches the trunk but there is still a pretty big gap

I had an 86 cutlass that I put a firebird spoiler on. I don't remember the year of the firebird tho. I had the same problem with the outside edges of the spoiler touching the trunk.

Just flip the spoiler upside down and belt sand off however much you need so that it doesn't touch the trunk. Worked well for me and with the spoiler mounted, you couldn't even tell that I modified it slightly.

I'll see if I have any pics of the spoiler on the car

gbodyfever

Greasemonkey
Jun 19, 2007
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
HurstOlds said:
gbodyfever said:
i picked up a spoiler off a 85 firebird cuz i was told this is what people use..but it seems its going to be to short?becuase the outside bottom edge off the spoiler just almost touches the trunk but there is still a pretty big gap

I had an 86 cutlass that I put a firebird spoiler on. I don't remember the year of the firebird tho. I had the same problem with the outside edges of the spoiler touching the trunk.

Just flip the spoiler upside down and belt sand off however much you need so that it doesn't touch the trunk. Worked well for me and with the spoiler mounted, you couldn't even tell that I modified it slightly.

I'll see if I have any pics of the spoiler on the car

shouldave thought of that, thanks! :)

Reactions: 1 user

HurstOlds

Master Mechanic
Sep 21, 2007
Illinois
No problem

I've been searching and can't find a single picture of my Olds with that spoiler on it. I really liked the look of it. I thought it fit the car even better than the Hurst spoiler.

fk, I need to find a pic (if one exists) :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor