rear sway bar

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobCit

Apprentice
Sep 30, 2007
North Jersey
Can any one tell me if the rear sway bar on a 79 base GP is the same as a 79 SJ GP

84GP455

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2007
Methuen Ma.
That depends on what size engine was in the car. Generally six cylinder engines have a smaller diameter size sway bar than the v8 ones. If they were both v8's then they should be the same diameter (I think!)unless the bigger size 1 1/4"inch was a suspension option, but i doubt it.

BobCit

Apprentice
Sep 30, 2007
North Jersey
I should have included the info that they both have the 301 v8

shotgun

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2007
Nort o Philly
I have had a few "base" GP and they had a small front bar and no rear bar.

I believe you could get the bigger front bar with a rear bar as an option (F41?) on the base.

I also believe they were included in some packages such as SJ,LJ.They were on the ones I owned.

The bigger sets are 1 1/4 front, 7/8 rear.
Not sure of the size of the small front for a base car but would guess in the 7/8 area.

Need a set?

BobCit

Apprentice
Sep 30, 2007
North Jersey
I have an SJ as a parts car and my driver is the base GP with the 4 speed.
My thought was the SJ might have some better suspension parts I could put on the base GP. Do you think it would be a simple swap or not worth the trouble

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
As far as I know, if the car has the rear bar it has the handling package already installed. The differences were in tuning to offset engine weight differences, but since both cars had the same engine, both would have the same suspension. The only possible difference would be the front spring rate as GM used a computer to select the springs based on weight. However, spending the time to swap out one set of 28-30 year old springs for another is pointless as both would have taken a set and lost at least some of their original spring rate. To improve handling, I would suggest a new set of springs and new polyurethane bushings, as well as new ball joints and tie rod ends and maybe a steering coupler. I have the Eibach lowering springs in my car, but have come to the conclusion that they are just too stiff, so I would suggest something milder. Also, a swap to at least 16x8 inch wheels and 245 50 16's would do wonders for the handling. These are heavy cars and they tend to completely overwhelm the puny stock tires with their tall sidewalls, handling package or not. 15x7's with 235 60 15's may also help in a pinch, and many 3rd gen F cars came with the Pontiac Rally II wheels in that size stock. Optimally I would use 17x8 front wheels and 17x9.5's in the rear, but I am unsure if they really would fit your particular car or not.

One more thing: The easiest way to check the sway bar size is with an open end wrench. It can basically serve as a caliper to tell you the diameter of the bar. For example, if a 7/8 wrench fits it snugly, you know you have a 7/8 bar.

BobCit

Apprentice
Sep 30, 2007
North Jersey
Thanks for the info. Eventually I want to update the original front end,springs and what not. I was looking at the eibach springs.
I am not looking to make it some super handling vehicle just looking to improve the ride and handling as a pleasure cruiser

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor