Rear window shelf removal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin S.

Greasemonkey
Aug 17, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Good afternoon community,

the rear window shelf from my car (78 chevy Malibu, 4door) looks really bad; its scratched. Now I want to remove it, to rework the part. Does anyone know how to remove this f......... part ? :(:blam:
I would be glad for any tips or suggestions (with pics ?)

Many thanks in advance
Martin

85ss/85gn

Master Mechanic
Jan 31, 2007
beaver dam,wi
The interior trim piece? Not the metal? There is some screws on the side trim that need to be removed. The top part of the seat needs to be removed.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user

Martin S.

Greasemonkey
Aug 17, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
The interior trim piece? Not the metal? There is some screws on the side trim that need to be removed. The top part of the seat needs to be removed.
Yes, the interior trim........... and how do i remove the upper part of the rear bench ?
I had a look in the manual, but i didn´t found anything.............:(

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
to remove the upper part of the rear bench you remove the seat and there are two torx bolts you need to remove. The bolts are also used for the seat belts. I find to help get the bolts out I place the torx bit (I think it's a 54) in the bolt and with an old 3/8" extension attached to the bit I give it a few good hits with my mini sledge hammer.

Last edited:
  • Useful

85ss/85gn

Master Mechanic
Jan 31, 2007
beaver dam,wi
It is a t50 torx. The lower seat is clipped in just need to push the front side in and should pop up and the upper you will see the torx bolts

• Useful
Reactions: 1 users

85ss/85gn

Master Mechanic
Jan 31, 2007
beaver dam,wi
If you have more questions I just pulled interior from a 4 door and still have most stuff in my head

• Useful
Reactions: 1 users

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
I might help to spray penetrating oil on the exposed threads under the chassis. Those bolts can be a b***&#$&*!!. to loosen. While you're under the chassis please hit any other exposed threads with penetrating oil.

• Useful

85grandprix

Master Mechanic
Jun 23, 2017
I might help to spray penetrating oil on the exposed threads under the chassis. Those bolts can be a b***&#$&*!!. to loosen. While you're under the chassis please hit any other exposed threads with penetrating oil.
I stripped two..so now i have to figure out how to get them out..they really are a pain in the a**

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor