Recommendation: Electric Fans

rubio9800

Greasemonkey
Oct 10, 2020
California
I wouldn't "get rid" of anything if your car has a computer and everything is working. Your heads should have provisions if none in the intake front or rear. Is that a 307?
it’s a pontiac 265, i’m going to leave the computer stuff alone. going to try this and fit new temp switch on upper radiator hose

Attachments

• IMG_1349.png
    IMG_1349.png
    909.8 KB · Views: 47
Reactions: 1 user

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
If you buy aftermarket, then buy a quality setup. I’ve found the budget setups to not be reliable.

Finding a set of fans, choose your model, from a JY has always been reliable for me. Or go with a new set of OE. The Intrepid and 4th Gen Camaro units have worked well for me.

I threw away a set of 4th Gen fans and I am royally kicking myself! They'd be on the Monte now if I hadn't. Guess I'll have to settle for my stock C5 fans.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
The Dodge Stratus and Plymouth Breeze, 98 to 2005 fans also work with the Cutlass top plate and move a lot of air. I ordered a hose adapter similar from Davies Craig, putting the sensor in it. I had to add a piece of pipe to clear the serpentine setup on my Olds V8's. The Davies Craig controller is by far the best I have ever owned. I bought the one with the push in probe. I just ordered the easily changed(has a plug in connector) screw in probe. It has an adjustable digital display and two 40 amp relays.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
i have a 180 thermostat , are u saying to get a probe that turns off at 185? if im reading this correctly
Yes

If the thermostat and temperature sensor are perfectly in sync. It could even be OFF at 181 but in the real world, as long as it is high enough to where the fan is NEVER blowing on a radiator that is not circulating.

Basically you are trying to avoid 2 things. One, the thermostat is doing the temperature regulating on the highway. So it's cycling somewhere between open and closed and the fans do not run. It's pointless to have fans running while driving at 60mph.
Two. There may be a situation where the engine finally cools itself to the point the thermostat closes. You do not need the fan running in that situation.

Kind of off topic but probes in the coolant are more accurate. Probes in the air in radiator fins may be cooled by slow driving but the engine coolant is actually too hot.

rubio9800

Greasemonkey
Oct 10, 2020
California
Yes

If the thermostat and temperature sensor are perfectly in sync. It could even be OFF at 181 but in the real world, as long as it is high enough to where the fan is NEVER blowing on a radiator that is not circulating.

Basically you are trying to avoid 2 things. One, the thermostat is doing the temperature regulating on the highway. So it's cycling somewhere between open and closed and the fans do not run. It's pointless to have fans running while driving at 60mph.
Two. There may be a situation where the engine finally cools itself to the point the thermostat closes. You do not need the fan running in that situation.

Kind of off topic but probes in the coolant are more accurate. Probes in the air in radiator fins may be cooled by slow driving but the engine coolant is actually too hot.

much appreciated , thanks for the feedback.

i’m doing a probe for sure!

rubio9800

Greasemonkey
Oct 10, 2020
California
here’s where i am and have hit a hiccup
can’t get fans to engage when wired to the relay.

if i hook fans power directly to battery they run.

here’s how i wired the relay

30- straight to battery (fused)
86- 12v power switched , tapped into fuse box IGN

87-power to fans
fans ground to battery
85- to coolant switch

letting the engine idle , let the temp go past 220 and nothing, no fans come on.

when cars running i have power to all these when checking with a multi meter except for the fans.

i’m assuming no voltage because i can’t get them to engage.

faulty coolant switch maybe? not sure how to test if it works!

any tips? first time doing something like this, also reached out to seller see if any help

thanks fam

Attachments

• IMG_1353.jpeg
    IMG_1353.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 44
Last edited:

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor