Recommendation for a mini starter

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmorman

Greasemonkey
Jun 5, 2008
Perry, IA
Howdy all!

I currently have a Summit Racing® Mini High-Torque Starters SUM-G1660A. It is a "clockable" starter with the solenoid pointed "Down." While it has been a good starter, it is becoming more and more susceptible to moisture. Every Spring when I get the car out, I power wash the under cage and engine compartment. I've been having to remove the starter so the solenoid does not get wet. I think I'm on my 3rd or 4th solenoid now. While I have the engine out I figured I'd take the whole starter to be "refreshed." My engine builder, who has had the same problem, recommended that I purchase a starter wrap. Not only to protect the solenoid from water, but also from heat as the headers are very close to it.

With that background, I was wondering if anybody has a recommendation of a more "weather resistant" mini starter? While I don't DIRECTLY spray the starter with the pressure washer, it does get wet and then the solenoid fails.

I have a good friend who uses an OEM GM mini starter in both his drag car and his Nova. Would one of those be more robust IF it fits between the headers and engine?

Or, would I be better suited to refresh the starter I have and buy a good wrap to protect it from moisture and excessive heat?

I had posted a while back about installing a remote solenoid like on a Ford, but am going to keep that as a last resort as I can't think of a good place to mount it that is hidden.

Thanks!

Russ

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I have a CSR mini starter with headers. I have the solenoid on the starter wired so I can use a remote Ford style solenoid and have never had a problem with moisture or heat. I drive my GP in the rain and I wash the engine occasionally

Reactions: 1 user

Opie Knievel

Rum Fueled Midnight Mechanic and Moderator
Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
I have a starter from a newer model 4.3 on the 350 in my truck. It's pretty small. Really light weight. I was amazed at how easy it was to install. It has worked well for me but I haven't used it a lot. I've heard of some other people using them with good luck.

20160913_194436-1024x576.jpg

Look at the size difference!

20160913_194605-1024x576.jpg

20160913_194614-1024x576.jpg

20160913_194538-1024x576.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

rmorman

Greasemonkey
Jun 5, 2008
Perry, IA
I have a CSR mini starter with headers. I have the solenoid on the starter wired so I can use a remote Ford style solenoid and have never had a problem with moisture or heat. I drive my GP in the rain and I wash the engine occasionally

I'll second the remote solenoid. I used that successfully with the stock starter. Currently have the RobbMC starter it is great.

I like this idea, but here was my concern with the remote solenoid. Call me superficial, but I'd like not to see it on the fender like my old Ford truck. Anybody got pictures of hiding the remote solenoid in a G-body?

I have a starter from a newer model 4.3 on the 350 in my truck. It's pretty small. Really light weight. I was amazed at how easy it was to install. It has worked well for me but I haven't used it a lot. I've heard of some other people using them with good luck.

I saw one of these last night as my buddy has the engine out of his drag car. Anybody know what years these were used in so I can search the local salvage yards should I go this way? Mine is a 168 tooth flexplate if that matters.

I have to assume the OEM ones are relatively well sealed?

Here is a picture of the current starter. I set the carb next to it for a sense of the size. My initial plan was to bypass the solenoid with a remote one, but unsure where to hide the solenoid.

I've had to grind on it to clear the headers. Although it still is VERY close.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I don't have the solenoid hidden, it sits on the wheel well. I like it to be accessible in case I need a source of power since my battery is in the trunk. It's not a big complicated part so I don't see it as an eyesore

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Speedy94c

Apprentice
Sep 3, 2016
I like this idea, but here was my concern with the remote solenoid. Call me superficial, but I'd like not to see it on the fender like my old Ford truck. Anybody got pictures of hiding the remote solenoid in a G-body?

95-2000 chevy trucks,vans,3/4 tons and 1 tons, suburbans with 350's 454's
98-00 s10/s15 with 4.3
Lots of rigs to chose from. I do have one on my 85 Monte carlo SS with a sb 400 and have had NO problems.

I saw one of these last night as my buddy has the engine out of his drag car. Anybody know what years these were used in so I can search the local salvage yards should I go this way? Mine is a 168 tooth flexplate if that matters.

I have to assume the OEM ones are relatively well sealed?

Here is a picture of the current starter. I set the carb next to it for a sense of the size. My initial plan was to bypass the solenoid with a remote one, but unsure where to hide the solenoid.

I've had to grind on it to clear the headers. Although it still is VERY close.

kalidromos13

Master Mechanic
Oct 12, 2016
Palmdale, CA
I currently use a Summit Mini-Starter as well, I've never had any issues with mine, even after washing. Maybe there is some moisture getting in the case, perhaps if you remove the solenoid case, a bead of RTV around the case should help seal it up.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor