Recommendation for good flasher fuses for LED bulbs

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I am in the need of flasher fuses for The Jr. Mechanic's Monte Carlo since I have all his exterior bulbs converted to LED's. All the bulbs used are from Super Bright LEDs (https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat...led-tower-bay15d-bulb/category/2/+color-Amber). I haven't decided on which brand LED for the dash indicators if I swap out the regular 194's. Just want ones that are reliable & easy to get incase of one failing. To be honest I just don't know where to start looking or the details in some function diferences from some I've glanced over.

Reactions: 1 users

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
I forget who it was but someone here recently told me they used the frosted white "snowcap" style Sylvania bulbs for their dash rehash. I haven't upgraded a G Body cluster to LED yet, however, I converted every bulb on my truck to Sylvania LEDs and haven't had an issue in years. They're available at all the parts stores near me so I imagine finding them in a time of need should be no issue. I forget which flasher I used at the time, and don't know that it would be the same anyway. I used a different brand kit for the gauge lights in that truck, and they're soldered to the board.

Reactions: 1 user

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I forget who it was but someone here recently told me they used the frosted white "snowcap" style Sylvania bulbs for their dash rehash. I haven't upgraded a G Body cluster to LED yet, however, I converted every bulb on my truck to Sylvania LEDs and haven't had an issue in years. They're available at all the parts stores near me so I imagine finding them in a time of need should be no issue. I forget which flasher I used at the time, and don't know that it would be the same anyway. I used a different brand kit for the gauge lights in that truck, and they're soldered to the board.
It's not the bulbs as a few used are the Sylvania's, just need a flasher that others have have used with good results, The Super Bright LED bulbs used were recommended by mclellan83 for use the light sockets used in most G Monte Carlos.

Reactions: 3 users

86 Salon

Apprentice
Mar 14, 2021
Rockauto has a Peterson #554 electronic flasher. Those are all I use anymore. They automatically adjust flash rate. There are also other brands of electronic flashers.

Reactions: 5 users

popeye1978

Greasemonkey
Jul 4, 2014
Sorry, not here as often as usual so didn't see this thread when new. I run the bipolar variant of what melloelky uses, looks to be the same manufacturer

Reactions: 1 user

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Any electronic flasher that does not rely on the resistance of the bulbs will work. They use them on trucks and cars with boat trailers. My old parcel post truck used the TRIDON units. They worked no matter how many bulbs were burnt out. They would 'fall out' of the holder if I hit a big bump, [ahem-cough-cough]. They worked great in the Bonnewagon w/trailer.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Just went thru this last week, along with several flashers that "were for LED's" well most weren't. I ended up with some from Superbriteleds.com that worked.

Side note though. The turn signal flasher needed to be reversed, plus they were square instead of round. 4way fit fine, turn signal flasher wouldn't physically fit because of the fuse box, wired in some short jumpers and also had to reverse the wiring. Some LED flashers are sold with a socket that reverses the wiring connections.
Side side note. You must also cut the ground wire to the side marker lens and ground it. Which in turn makes it a marker light only, they will not flash any more with the turn signals. Just the way the car is wired so unless your rewire the complete lighting system that's all you can do.

Reactions: 2 users

popeye1978

Greasemonkey
Jul 4, 2014
Just went thru this last week, along with several flashers that "were for LED's" well most weren't. I ended up with some from Superbriteleds.com that worked.

Side note though. The turn signal flasher needed to be reversed, plus they were square instead of round. 4way fit fine, turn signal flasher wouldn't physically fit because of the fuse box, wired in some short jumpers and also had to reverse the wiring. Some LED flashers are sold with a socket that reverses the wiring connections.
Side side note. You must also cut the ground wire to the side marker lens and ground it. Which in turn makes it a marker light only, they will not flash any more with the turn signals. Just the way the car is wired so unless your rewire the complete lighting system that's all you can do.

Experiences vary, I guess. The flashers I used were the model as in the link I provided, chose that model because it had the correct number/orientation of prongs for the application and I was willing to shell-out the few extra bucks for the bipolar model as then I wouldn't have to worry about initially installing them 'backwards'. Only complication was finding the ground in the vicinity, but after tracing some other wires I found it. Everything works as it should, no loss of functionality

Reactions: 3 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Not sure why but I forgot to update this thread with the ones I ordered up which was back in December then installed in April. The Ebay link for my order is dead but here's a listing that is basically the same flasher.
I grounded them at the fuse box mounting bolts & all the light blink as needed for turns & flashers.

Reactions: 5 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor