Recommended stall speed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I have the gmpp Hot Cam in the 5.3 in my 08 Sierra RCSB. I have a Circle D 3200 in front of my 4L70. I find it to be very streetable. It isn't extreme at all like it sounds. I have 4.10 rear gears but I'm running a 31.9" tire, if that puts it into perspective. I did the "Ask Circle D" form and went with their recommendation
http://www.circledspecialties.com/askcircled
Their facility is here in Houston and I toured it when I exchanged my converter (they offer an exchange service when you have the converter out - in my case for a transmission overhaul at 120,000 miles). It's a nice facility. They have some nice 3-axis CNC machinery.

The converter I went with is just a step above the entry level unit but I've run them a combined 70k miles with pretty spirited driving and had no issues...
http://www.circledspecialties.com/4l60-hp-series-278mm
I also meant to say Mike is entirely correct on the importance of the tuning aspect with these electronically controlled transmissions. When I first took my truck around the block untuned, I thought uh-oh. This converter is way too loose. After putting in the tune, it was like a different converter had been swapped in.

Dinosport

G-Body Guru
Jul 20, 2015
Ct
I also meant to say Mike is entirely correct on the importance of the tuning aspect with these electronically controlled transmissions. When I first took my truck around the block untuned, I thought uh-oh. This converter is way too loose. After putting in the tune, it was like a different converter had been swapped in.

On this one Im not being cheap or trying to save any money, Its being done for me by a customer of mine on a barter we made. There is a shop not far from here that rebuilds converters, He is very reputable, all the race car guys use him and thats where the converter is going. All I need to do is tell the guy sending it what I want. It didnt know there where so many variables to the converer. Although it does makes sense I just never gave it any thought.
Im going to have to see if I can talk to the converter guy myself and make sure he builds it for right for me.

Ok so now back to the dumb questions, I will do a fair amount of highway driving at 60 to 80mph. should I make sure the converter has a lower stall than the cruise rpm at those speeds or will the lock up take care of that?
As far as the tuning goes Im planning om using a very reputable guy thats not to far from here. I have met him but dont really know him. Again Ill have to get in touch with him I guess and make sure he can tune the trans to it even though I know guys with electronic trans that he has tuned so I would think that wont be problem.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Lock-up will take care of everything from 40-100mph depending on gear commanded/selected and load.

For example: I turned OFF the lock-up in Natasha's 2015 Colorado in the first few gears (mimicing a same year Camaro) and it drives way nicer (like a Camaro) than stock which lugs badly at low speeds. So if you have a loose stall, you can tighten it up sooner with the TCC engagement speed (to a point)... you will be limited by the engine design/tune and what it requires.

Tuning is everything.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
On this one Im not being cheap or trying to save any money, Its being done for me by a customer of mine on a barter we made. There is a shop not far from here that rebuilds converters, He is very reputable, all the race car guys use him and thats where the converter is going. .

All I can say is do your homework before you spend money and your valuable time. Just trying to help. Is this guy like all the other el cheapo converters on the market and taking a factory converter housing and only changing the stator / turbine? I put one in my truck from "that converter guy" and learned a tough lesson. I hate it because it is too loose and drives like crap. A quality converter like Circle D or FTI will drive normal until you load it up. Yes they are more expensive but well worth the money...I paid $900 for mine but the difference is notable. Most quality converters have a billet front cover like shown below.

cd6r80d.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Dinosport

G-Body Guru
Jul 20, 2015
Ct
All I can say is do your homework before you spend money and your valuable time. Just trying to help. Is this guy like all the other el cheapo converters on the market and taking a factory converter housing and only changing the stator / turbine? I put onin my truck from "that converter guy" and learned a tough lesson. I hate it because it is too loose and drives like crap. A quality converter like Circle D or FTI will drive normal until you load it up. Yes they are more expensive but well worth the money...I paid $900 for mine but the difference is notable. Most quality converters have a billet front cover like shown below.

cd6r80d.jpg

Thats a sweet converter. But Im not not the one buying the converter. If I have to buy it then that would not make the deal I made worth it. I only have a stock motor with a hot cam, so I originally figured a stock converter with a lightly higher stall would work fine. Man its never that simple is it. lol.
Ill have to give that deal some thought.

Dinosport

G-Body Guru
Jul 20, 2015
Ct
Well I just left a race car shop and decided to ask his opinion about the converter, He told me he uses the very guy that's going to do my converter for every car he builds. He told me what I need to do is just call him and tell him what my combo is and intended driving habits, he went as far to say that if I wasn't happy with it he'll buy it from me. So I guess this guy must not be just a run of the mil converter guy. His name is Mike and he is in Danielson Ct, if anybody else around has used him and wants to chime in or is looking for a guy here in the Ct area

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Let us know how it goes.

Remember you are going to want a clutch in that converter.

Dinosport

G-Body Guru
Jul 20, 2015
Ct
Let us know how it goes.

Remember you are going to want a clutch in that converter.

A clutch? Ill mention that. Im going to make sure I have a conversation with that converter guy before he does anything. I hope Ill be happy with it. For now I have to keep it simple, I can drive the car a while and modify more it to my liking later on. Right now I dont have like 20k to spend on getting this car running with the ls in it. Im to far in to it turn back, if I had known I probably would have waited a little longer to start this.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
The biggest gains (arguably) on an LS engine, especially with a cam, is found in the converter (stall speed and torque multiplication). Why? Because you just shifted the powerband up and to the right with the cam, and LS motors tend to have long flat torque curves (which is why they feel so leggy) - but, that torque delivery is seemingly less than a traditional SBC/BBC (less peaky) at lower revs.

Thus you need that matched STR which augments the initial torque hit on launch - make it work it for you off the line and then run it out the back door.

• Winner
Reactions: 2 users

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
I've got a question(hopefully not a hi jack) on this subject maybe someone can offer some advise.i phoned four converter company's this week,three gave me basically the same answer,the fourth one suggested an even higher stall.three were well known tried and true the other was kinda new on the scene.and before you ask the higher stall wasn't from the newest company.any thoughts on this math problem?i'm sure each company makes them differently but does the majority rule (3 out of 4)in this situation or is that little bit more of stall that much of a difference that the one company recommended?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor