Redoing my Engine bay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lue

G-Body Guru
Nov 29, 2007
Los Angeles, california
I'm going to be swaping my engine, and i wanted to clean up and paint my(firewall,frame,core support, etc) while the engine is out. Does anyone have tips,suggestions as to what paint, and good way to clean/ and degrease my engine bay?

80' bu

Apprentice
Jul 12, 2007
Ontario
I sprayed mine down with gunk degreaser then pressure washed the engine bay. Wire wheel in an angle grinder or drill to get the flakes and crap off. Finish it off by washing it with soap to get any residue off and POR it. POR is expensive but I was amazed at how nice that stuff is and it'll lay flat even when applied with a brush. I used the POR metal prep before paint too which helps adhesion especially when you've de-rusted it. POR actually likes rust to stick to.

Lue

G-Body Guru
Nov 29, 2007
Los Angeles, california
80' bu said:
I sprayed mine down with gunk degreaser then pressure washed the engine bay. Wire wheel in an angle grinder or drill to get the flakes and crap off. Finish it off by washing it with soap to get any residue off and POR it. POR is expensive but I was amazed at how nice that stuff is and it'll lay flat even when applied with a brush. I used the POR metal prep before paint too which helps adhesion especially when you've de-rusted it. POR actually likes rust to stick to.

Will the POR work as well on the plastic wheel wells? or would i have to go with a paint that's meant for plastic?

Geesie

Master Mechanic
Feb 15, 2008
San Diego
POR is a stop-rust coating. No reason to use it on plastic.

v8power

G-Body Guru
Aug 24, 2007
green bay WI
go to walmart and get super clean in the purple bottle, do not mix it with water and spray it on and let it sit for 10 min, then use a pressure washer to blast all the crap away, you will be surprised how well the super clean works!!
then as far as the frame, i just used dupli color professional under coating, and put about 3 coats of it on, or until it starts to lay smooth. get a good primer and prime and paint the fire wall. i just used spray paint, but it looks really good. as far as the fender wells, i am just going to paint them bumper black. good luck.

http://gbodyforum.com/photos/displayima ... 259-2.html

Lue

G-Body Guru
Nov 29, 2007
Los Angeles, california
v8power said:
go to walmart and get super clean in the purple bottle, do not mix it with water and spray it on and let it sit for 10 min, then use a pressure washer to blast all the crap away, you will be surprised how well the super clean works!!
then as far as the frame, i just used dupli color professional under coating, and put about 3 coats of it on, or until it starts to lay smooth. get a good primer and prime and paint the fire wall. i just used spray paint, but it looks really good. as far as the fender wells, i am just going to paint them bumper black. good luck.

http://gbodyforum.com/photos/displayima ... 259-2.html

Nice work V8, did you that all your self? How long did it take you, and do you have any tips/techniques?

v8power

G-Body Guru
Aug 24, 2007
green bay WI
thanks, i did it all myself. i would say it took about a week to do all the cleaning and paint. the biggest thing is that super clean degreaser, it is by far the strongest stuff i can find. i took all the wheels off and rolled it outside on a jack, and made sure to get all the grease out by the spindles and a arms. that dupli color professional undercoat works really well, just have to put it on in layers so it will look level, otherwise it is really rough. the fire wall is just D.A. sanded down with 180 grit, to get all the factory runs and puddy off. then do 2 coats of primer, and 2 coats of paint. i will post some pics up of the fender wells when i get them painted.

by the way, are you going to do all the bushings rite away?

fodoimp

Master Mechanic
Oct 8, 2006
Southern New Jersey
I used VHT gloss black self priming epoxy paint on everything including the plastic because it was turnign kind of grey. Its beent hat way for almost a year and its holding up excellent with no flaking. The part number is sp670. I swear by that stuff.

Lue

G-Body Guru
Nov 29, 2007
Los Angeles, california
v8power said:
thanks, i did it all myself. i would say it took about a week to do all the cleaning and paint. the biggest thing is that super clean degreaser, it is by far the strongest stuff i can find. i took all the wheels off and rolled it outside on a jack, and made sure to get all the grease out by the spindles and a arms. that dupli color professional undercoat works really well, just have to put it on in layers so it will look level, otherwise it is really rough. the fire wall is just D.A. sanded down with 180 grit, to get all the factory runs and puddy off. then do 2 coats of primer, and 2 coats of paint. i will post some pics up of the fender wells when i get them painted.

by the way, are you going to do all the bushings rite away?

No, i'm actually going to do the suspension latter. I'm planing on doing the Engine/ and surroundings(engine bay) first, transmission second, suspension third, rear end fourth, body fifth, and the interior last.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor