Remembering 9/11 21 years later

Status
Not open for further replies.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Hard to believe we have gone 21 years since our world took a severe change. There are those of us here whose lives have been affected, directly or indirectly, from those actions. Then we now have a generation that have only seen this as history. We should try our best to remember those we knew who passed from the events of that day as well as those who passed from events resulting from that day. Those of us who remember that day as it happened remember where & what we were doing whe it was first anounced when the first plane hit the World Trade Center not knowing three more were going to be used. Remember to thank you first responders & service members for being will to what they do.

1662903647614.png

• Winner
Reactions: 6 users

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
well said. one of my first thoughts when I woke up this morning, was of the events all those years ago. I thought about the families of, and the ones that died that day, and the actions that occured that day. I thought of how the country came together that day, and all the hatred for each other was forgotten. It saddens me that a mere 21 years later, society seems to have forgotten anything ever happened, and has gotten worse than it was then.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
It was certainly a sad day in American history. However, it showed how unified we could be as a nation. It doesn't seem like the case today, sadly to say.
I remember this day as if it were yesterday. We lost a neighborhood friend and firefighter, who was also a neighbor to my parents back in Brooklyn.
Back in the day I worked in the Towers as a telephone installer and tech. Seeing the twin towers on TV vividly reminds me of those days.

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Today means more to me than most know. Having served before 9/11, at Ground Zero, then again afterwards, I will always be tied to that day. I'm somewhere in this photo, marching with my brothers towards Ground Zero. I believe this was taken by Battery Park where we slept for the first few days.

FB_IMG_1662913939091.jpg

Reactions: 8 users

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Today means more to me than most know. Having served before 9/11, at Ground Zero, then again afterwards, I will always be tied to that day. I'm somewhere in this photo, marching with my brothers towards Ground Zero. I believe this was taken by Battery Park where we slept for the first few days.

View attachment 206646
So you had a particularly memorable experience during that time in the Wall St./ Battery Park area. I could see where that time would live on in your memory forever. Thank you for your service.
When I worked at a brokerage house in my younger years, I spent many a lunch hour in Battery Park. Good memories.

Reactions: 4 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I remember the towers, the marble lobby and how they'd close the observation deck because of wind and weather from time to time.

I remember driving to a location for work in RI hearing the area shock jock radio station talking about the first hit and switching channels to hear just commercials or music, and figuring it was a war of the world's spoof u til some TVs at the building had live news on.

I remember everything being closed for days and gas stations jacking prices even higher than we have today.

But I also remember after it all you didn't have left or right for a while - you just had Americans. Artists releasing patriotic themed music. A run on flags and patriotic items everywhere, nobody could get it or keep it in stock. Support for the nation, the government, the military, police, fire, responders and public servants in general.

It's sad, so many of the same people today to talk about the country being horrible , oppressive, etc etc back then walked and talked a whole different story. Things sure have changed, and quickly.

But, you're right. It's strange to see so many young adults today that's its a line item in a history book, and, not much more than that. More scary is that after the past 18 months we're closer to having something like it happen again then we've ever been.

Reactions: 6 users

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
So you had a particularly memorable experience during that time in the Wall St./ Battery Park area. I could see where that time would live on in your memory forever. Thank you for your service.
When I worked at a brokerage house in my younger years, I spent many a lunch hour in Battery Park. Good memories.
Jack, the husband of one of my coworkers worked for Verizon and died in the towers. His name was Derrick Washington. His wife told me he was on one of the upper floors.

I remember 9/11 like it was yesterday. Our division head called us all in for an emergency meeting. Our site was being evacuated due to the fact we had two reactors and no one was sure if there were any more attacks planned. Our security teams were at all the gates and high security buildings carrying MP5s and backed by the county PD.
My kids were watched by a woman whose husband was a FDNY firefighter. He lost MANY friends. Another friend of mine (also FDNY) has a son that was off the day of the attack. Every man in his house that responded to the towers died that day. A woman at my job lost her son. So many people on Long Island were touched by this tragedy. Its something I will never forget. NEVER. It changed our nation forever.

• Sad
Reactions: 5 users

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
20220911_070715.jpg
was @a car club breakfast this morning. can't believe so much time has passed since it happened

Reactions: 4 users

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
  • Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor