remove ECU from 231?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonesninja

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 15, 2009
Lima, Ohio
What would i have to do to remove the ECU off of my 81 231? Building a custom car and right now i can't exactly afford to upgrade the motor to the Olds 350 that i eventually will have. I'm not even sure what all the computer controls.

82cutty

Greasemonkey
Aug 3, 2008
What I did on my V-6 to V-8 swap was this. I pulled the ECM, and the wiring going out to the engine bay and left the rest inside. The only wires you need are from the left side (power harness) and the A/C if you keep it. The wire harness plug for the ECM is on the bottom right and you need to pull the fender liner out and remove a small screw. Good Luck

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Well, you would need a non-computer carb and distributor from an earlier car. You can unplug the computer stuff and leave it there. It won't do any harm. As for the A/C, I am not exactly sure if it is or is not part of the computer system in an 81. The 81 is the C4 system, not the CCC system that most of us have dealt with. C4 was only really used for a year or two before they went to the ostensibly better CCC (Computer Command Control) system. On that system, the computer has the ability to adjust the idle speed when used on a v6, and that is how it compensated for the compressor.

bonesninja

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 15, 2009
Lima, Ohio
well the good news is that the a/c is removed. Actually, i did a heater delete also, so only necessary things will be in the engine bay. I know alot of you guys are purists or performance minded but my car certainly won't fit in either catergory. I had this cutlass just sitting around doing nothing but rusting so i decided to go COMPLETE custom. It will be totally topless, so no need for enviromental controls. I'm not exactly into performance so it'll have just the 231 powering it.

Any ideas on what distributor and carb I can put on it? I would also like to do smog delete, possibly go to non-EGR manifold as well. Any ideas?

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
bonesninja said:
well the good news is that the a/c is removed. Actually, i did a heater delete also, so only necessary things will be in the engine bay. I know alot of you guys are purists or performance minded but my car certainly won't fit in either catergory. I had this cutlass just sitting around doing nothing but rusting so i decided to go COMPLETE custom. It will be totally topless, so no need for enviromental controls. I'm not exactly into performance so it'll have just the 231 powering it.

Any ideas on what distributor and carb I can put on it? I would also like to do smog delete, possibly go to non-EGR manifold as well. Any ideas?

If you're not in to performance (which is a good thing with a stock v6 g body) then just keep the EGR, no need to remove it if it's not broken

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor