Remove Vinyl top - 84 Cutlass Supreme

Status
Not open for further replies.

GotSomeRust

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 9, 2008
South Dakota
I picked up a 84 cutlass yesterday. The car needs a paint job, and I was considering removing the vinyl top. Can anyone tell me what's all involved in that process? Thanks

KMac

Greasemonkey
Jan 3, 2007
I got some picture in my gallery of taking it off. Taking off the top wasn't that bad. I used acetone and a scraper to get all the foam stuff off from underneath, but it took paint off as well. The bondo needed to be redone underneath, and i had to grind off the studs for the clip over the roof. Other than that it was pretty easy, just more time consuming. You can see in the other pictures what the car looks like now.

GotSomeRust

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 9, 2008
South Dakota
Did you have to get new rear window trim? Do any other cars have the same trim that I could pull it off? Thanks

arocars

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 1, 2007
Massachusetts
The rear windows on the vinyl top Cutlass are different from the non-vinyl top cars. The molding around the window is bigger on the non-vinyl top cars. Check the For Sale section on this site for these.

They rear window moldings on the vinyl top cars are green plastic, not metal. You will need to install molding clips to attach the metal moldings.

This the basics. There is more to this project. Do a search for "Vinyl Top Removal" and get the rest of the details.

Good luck.

arocars

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 1, 2007
Massachusetts
Meant to say the rear quarter-windows on the vinyl top Cutlass are different from the non-vinyl top cars. The molding around the window is bigger on the non-vinyl top cars. Check the For Sale section on this site for these.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Also, DO NOT USE BONDO!!! Use All metal instead. It is designed to be used for seam filling and as a lead replacement. Bondo is a sponge and will rot out the roof if you go that route. All Metal is sold by US Chemical and most auto body supply stores stock it. Napa may also have it too.

You will need the right quarter windows, the back window trim, need to remove the tack welded studs for the trim clips, need to screw the trim clips to the window channel for the back window trim, need special clips for the bottom trim that are not reproduced ( source them from another car), etc. I have done it, but it was not simple. Oh, and don't grind the studs off. It will warp the roof and be damn near impossible to get straight. Grip them with a vise grip and twist them off gently. Remember the roof is a low crown section and hard to work straight because it will flex when you apply pressure to sand it. If you must use an angle grinder, use a flapper disc and do it in stages. This will minimize heat and warpage.

fodoimp

Master Mechanic
Oct 8, 2006
Southern New Jersey
The bottom trim clips are reproduced I have a brand new set got them off of ebay and they fit beautifully. I also have a complete set of rear trim in really nice shape and two sides and a bottom would just need the top piece if any one is looking for a set.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor