remove windshield with antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

garyl24

Apprentice
Jan 15, 2009
southern illinois
i found a 79 cutlass in one of the local yards and it has the antenna built in the windshield. question is, is there any special way to remove it? what i mean is how is the cable attached to it? i would assume it is soldered on. if it is does the cable just dangle down to the radio or do i need to pull the dash to free the cable? thanks for any help

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
garyl24 said:
i found a 79 cutlass in one of the local yards and it has the antenna built in the windshield. question is, is there any special way to remove it? what i mean is how is the cable attached to it? i would assume it is soldered on. if it is does the cable just dangle down to the radio or do i need to pull the dash to free the cable? thanks for any help

The antenna wire simply comes out the bottom edge of the windshield and has a press-on connector that attaches to a lead-in wire. Remove the stainless trim under the wiper arms and you'll see it. I try to tape the wire to the windshield to prevent damaging it when cutting the urethane, otherwise it's just like any other GM windshield. The lead-in coax from the base of the windshield to the radio is probably not on your car currently if you don't have a windshield antenna, so you'll want that as well.

garyl24

Apprentice
Jan 15, 2009
southern illinois
is this the press on connector from the windshield you were talking about?
HPIM0763.jpg

[email protected]

Greasemonkey
Jan 9, 2009
Wisconsin
Thanks, I was wondering about special removal too, I've been eye'n up one on a 78' Cutlass. Anyone know for sure if that 78' Cutlass windshield will fit in my 86' Monte?

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
Thanks, I was wondering about special removal too, I've been eye'n up one on a 78' Cutlass. Anyone know for sure if that 78' Cutlass windshield will fit in my 86' Monte?
If it's a 2 door Cutlass the windshield will fit your Monte.

3XBrownCutty

Royal Smart Person
Mar 20, 2008
NW PA
I wish i would've seen the regal at my junkyard with one of these windshields before I painted my car. It would look better with the antenna "shaved"

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor