EL CAMINO REMOVING a ~15 year old dash cap (1986 el camino)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HK_Camino

Apprentice
May 25, 2021
Houston
Hey guys, I'm completely redoing the interior in my el camino. I'm also changing everything to black.

Does anyone have experience removing a dash cap? There's plenty of info installing them. I'm concerned it's going to be so bonded to the dash underneath that i damage something removing it. I'm imagining using a heat gun and some kind of pry bar.

Any advice appreciated!!

-HK

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Im thinking thats going to be a decent amount of work depending how much adhesive was used putting ot on. I would probably start in a hard area first. This way if it gets screwed up at least its in the beginning not after you get the whole thing stripped. Be a waste of time at that point. Either way Im sure the original days is going to be banged up taking it off.
Can you find another dash to recover instead ?

Reactions: 1 user

HK_Camino

Apprentice
May 25, 2021
Houston
Im thinking thats going to be a decent amount of work depending how much adhesive was used putting ot on. I would probably start in a hard area first. This way if it gets screwed up at least its in the beginning not after you get the whole thing stripped. Be a waste of time at that point. Either way Im sure the original days is going to be banged up taking it off.
Can you find another dash to recover instead ?
Hmm. If I went that route, how difficult is it to remove the covered dash currently installed?

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
dash caps are normally installed because the underlying dash is junk. what were you planning on doing with the original dash pad?

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

HK_Camino

Apprentice
May 25, 2021
Houston
For anyone wondering, the old dash cap came out really easily. I ordered a new one that hopefully will last another decade. In my opinion they look good when installed correctly.

57 Handyman

Master Mechanic
Feb 6, 2017
Lucky guy! For various reasons, I never wanted to go the dash cap route. Before I ended up buying a whole replacement dash, I considered patching/repairing the original dash in my 87 EC. In the end, I bit the bullet and bought a dash replacement from OPGI when they first became available. I justified it to myself that the dash, like the hood, are the two areas that we'll continually be looking at and visible as we drive our classics. I haven't installed it yet but getting really close.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor