Removing Crash Bars From Doors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garrett1982

G-Body Guru
May 18, 2014
Uniontown, Pa
Cut an opening around the spot welds and slide the crash bar out the side, then weld it closed.
Much less work than trying to cut the bar into pieces inside the door.

If the car is driven on the street at all, I would leave the front bars in place and only remove the rear...
Yeah that's the way to go if your welding it back together and repainting. I was trying to limit the welding on my car due to not having a welder yet. I've just been borrowing one until I can find a sweet deal on a Miller.

slingshot

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 9, 2014
I agree, cutting spot welds on the latch side and then cutting around the spot welds on the A-pillar side of the door and sliding the bar out an easier method. Cutting around spot welds on the latch side would likely have consequences. Of course, the door would need to come off for this process, but plan to remove them when ready to paint anyway.

pontiac6269

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 3, 2008
Sparta, Wisconsin
I agree, cutting spot welds on the latch side and then cutting around the spot welds on the A-pillar side of the door and sliding the bar out an easier method. Cutting around spot welds on the latch side would likely have consequences. Of course, the door would need to come off for this process, but plan to remove them when ready to paint anyway.

This is what I did to my 78 Cutlass Supreme last year. Went very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor