Removing drums?

Status
Not open for further replies.

G-boz

Greasemonkey
Jul 13, 2008
CT
How do you remove the drums on a stock 7.5 rear"? I have the rear out of the car but cant seem to take the drums off. I can only get them to move a few inches. I dont want to beat on the rear.

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
You can try loosening the adjuster for the shoes, but it may be frozen. If thats the case, usually a big hammer is the most effective way.

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
G-boz said:
How do you loosen the adjuster? where is it located? Thx
There is an adjuster hole on the inside of the backing plate and you will need a flat screwdriver to do this..As mentioned, Grab a sledge and hammer down on the drums , be careful not to hit the lugnut studs though,,,They'll come off rather easily after a few hits... 8)

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
JBreu, you beat me by moments! Look for little port holes on the lower part of the backing plate. There may be oval plastic plugs that you pop out with a screwdriver. It will have self-adjusters and it is tricky to loosen them. You need to stick a tiny thin screwdriver like tool inside to pry up the self-adjuster finger, which them allows you to work the adjuster wheel (down I believe) to loosen the adjusters. If all this fails, don't just bash it, get or rent a brake drum remover tool. Looks like a huge 3 finger wheel puller, but BIG for a brake drum.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
G-boz said:
Yeah, One side seems "locked", drum wont even turn. Ill try the adjuster. Thanks Guys
Alittle BFH action never fails :twisted:

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.
I have one of these that is a add on to my Snap-ON bearing puller set, OTC makes one also.
Just make sure that you have backed the self adjuster off as far as possible. then if necessary heat the drum at the point it slides over the round hub of the axle. Hit the drum face with a 3 to 5 LB hammer on the flat face,to break the bond with the rusty hub.

Attachments

• imagesCA0XM6SU.jpg
    imagesCA0XM6SU.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 548

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
A bit of oil around the hub helps too, after wire brushing the crud off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor