Removing Manifolds and Installing Headers on 85 Monte Carlo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carlos S. Monte

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 8, 2013
Need some advice. I'm currently removing my manifolds and installing my headers. Is there anything I should know for going about doing this? Any advice or tips? I have full length headers, and Ive heard that sometimes people need to pull the engine up a few inches either with a lift or a jack, is this always the case, or can I install them without lifting the engine? For reference, my car is an 85 Monte SS clone with a TH350 Transmission, and I'm using Jegs brand full length headers, which from what I have read are basically flowtechs.

I also noticed that the steering shaft is kind of in the way of some of the manifold bolts, and that it looks like it would be much easier to take the time and remove the steering shaft (Or move it to the side) to get he manifolds off and the headers on, would this be a correct assumption?

Any tips are appreciated, so thanks in advance.

Doug213xrj

Royal Smart Person
Dec 30, 2011
West Michigan
Re: Removing Manifolds and Installing Headers on 85 Monte Ca

Hey. I dont think you would have to remove the steering linkage to remove the exhaust manifold bolts. When I installed the headers (Heddman) on my 81 Malibu, One went in from the top and the other went in from the bottom. You will need to raise your Monte Carlo up high enough to to install the header from the bottom (Use a set of jack stands). you might have to remove the starter and or the oil filter. Double check your spark plug wires so they dont touch the header at all. You might also have to bend you oil dip stick. If you have anymore questions please let us know or PM me.

Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor