Removing Rear Interior?

Status
Not open for further replies.

newb

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 6, 2013
Puyallup, WA
So, what Im trying to do is fab some brackets to fit bigger speakers under the stock plastic in the back of my wagon. I need to get the quarter panel plastic out (without damaging it), but cant figure out how to. I tried starting from the back of the car and working forward, with no luck. Do I need to start by taking the back seat out and go from there? Any tips would help. Thanks.

81msw79

Master Mechanic
May 5, 2013
roselle park , nj
if you are not opening the holes up in the panels it will block any extra soundvwaves a larger speaker will produce. more then likely the back seats will need to be removed.

ssbrewskyaz

Master Mechanic
Dec 29, 2010
New River, Arizona
It's difficult, but not impossible to take out the rear quarter trim panels. My opinion, loosening up the load floor is the only way to assure you don't bust the stuff up. Take the load floor panel loose, you'll need somebody to help you. Angel the load floor and take one out, then angel it the other way and take the other one out. I don't recommend taking the load floor out of the vehicle but you could if you're patient and have help. Don't try to do it by yourself or you'll scratch the crap out of stuff. Like I said, it's a job but not impossible. ...

:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :wink:

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
You guys are working WAY too hard...
There is no need to remove the rear seat, and especially not the rear cargo floor. :shock:
You will need to remove the trim at the tailgate opening, as well as the trim along the rear edge of the rear doors (c-pillar).
There is a curved metal piece that screws into the cargo floor that holds the bottom edge in place.
Once you have those parts out, the large 1/4 panel pieces can slip out from the lip along the base of the window and lift right out.
It all fits together in an odd manner, so you usually end up having to remove a lot of pieces to get to the one you want.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I remember removing my panels, and it wasn't easy. As Blake pointed out, you have to unscrew the curved metal pieces around the perimeter, the rear pillar pieces, etc.
It does take some work to get them out... they're alittle awkward.

The cargo floor is an absolute pain in the *ss to get out. I was going to remove it again, but I think it's going to stay in place this time around. It would have been easier to paint while it's out, but.. oh well.

ssbrewskyaz

Master Mechanic
Dec 29, 2010
New River, Arizona
All due respect to Blake and Jack, I don't remember it being that easy. You're working with thirty year old plastic, if you rough house with it too much, you're gonna break it. This stuff is hard to find, not impossible but difficult. Do it however you feel comfortable but for me, I'll take the long way around to know when I get there all my junk will be in one piece. ...

:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :roll:

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Scott,
I admit, it wasn't easy getting those interior panels out. Some of the screws that hold the curved channels were compromised.
I actually had to drill a few of them out. The others, I was able to use my cordless drill to extract them.
It was like a puzzle trying to get them out. Also located just below the quarter windows are metal rails that the panels are also attached to.
Fortunately, there will be new panels going in. The color isn't the same, but it will all match, thanks to great products by SEM . :wink:

newb

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 6, 2013
Puyallup, WA
Thanks for the tips everyone! Now I just need to get the time to give it a shot. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor