Removing seats - 86 GP

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilduce

Apprentice
Jun 6, 2010
I took a look at how the front 40/60 bench seats mount and also the rear seats. Since these are power seats (just the driver side I guess) and I haven't messed with them before, what's the easiest way to get the bastards out? Do the seats have to be powered to adjust them in a particular position on the seat tracks in order to remove them, or can they be removed in any position? Is it better to remove the seat from the track or the whole thing as a unit from the floor?

How about the back? The seat back in the rear seems like it's retained with some sort of springs or clips or something, maybe bolts too, I don't know. I sure don't want to break anything.

I'm planning to replace the seats and carpet. I don't think the carpet will be a problem, but these seats look like a little bummer.

Any tips?

chevy2480

Royal Smart Person
Apr 28, 2010
williamstown nj 08094
If the power seat works you will have to power forward and backward to get to bolts remove as one unit.As for the back seat the seatbelt bolts hold it in place remove bolts and lift seat upward it will come out.

ilduce

Apprentice
Jun 6, 2010
chevy2480 said:
If the power seat works you will have to power forward and backward to get to bolts remove as one unit.As for the back seat the seatbelt bolts hold it in place remove bolts and lift seat upward it will come out.

Unfortunately, the power driver seat doesn't work. There's power going to it, but any action on the controls just sounds like marbles shaken in a glass jar; I guess the gears are burned out.

Is removal possible without the power driver seat working?

chevy2480

Royal Smart Person
Apr 28, 2010
williamstown nj 08094
Yes removal is possible. If you can unbolt seat from track it will be easier. Figure out which cables going into gearbox moves the seat turn it with a drill. It will take you a lot of patience but you will get It done.

ilduce

Apprentice
Jun 6, 2010
chevy2480 said:
Yes removal is possible. If you can unbolt seat from track it will be easier. Figure out which cables going into gearbox moves the seat turn it with a drill. It will take you a lot of patience but you will get It done.

That sounds like a good idea. Also sounds like how I'd get the power seats out of a salvage yard car.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor