Removing smog pump and passing emissions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LukeZ

G-Body Guru
Apr 24, 2015
Delaware
I live in Delaware, and my car has to go through the 2 speed test every 2 years (DMV puts an rom sensor on the hood of your car and asks you to rev at 2500 while they run emissions out of your tailpipe).

If I removed the smog pump and tunes that come from my exhaust manifold and car and just bought a new spin cat from
Magnaflow or something, could I still pass emissions? I have the stock 1986 cat on right now. I would think that my emissions would improve...

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
Might depend on whether you have a dual-bed cat -- the kind that has an air tube running from the smog pump to the middle of the cat. If so, the cat wants that air to burn junk properly and you might fail without it. If not, the smog pump only pumps air into the exhaust during cold start (to heat the cat up a little faster), then switches out, and you can probably yank it.

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
And if only California were that sensible about testing methods ....

455'ed80Regal

Master Mechanic
Nov 3, 2010
Lincoln, MO
Isn't there a visual part of the test to make sure all emissions components are in place and hooked up?

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
According to him, not in Delaware. Says they just slap an rpm sensor on the hood and tell you to gun it.

LukeZ:

You say it's an '86? I assume it still has the computer. The computer adjusts the mixture on the assumption that the cat is working a certain way. A computer for a dual-bed cat (air tube to the cat) won't work right with a three-way cat (no air tube to the cat), and a computer for a three-way cat won't work right with a dual-bed cat.

When I say "work right" I mean adjust the mixture so that the cat works right and cleans things up so you pass the tailpipe test.

All of this assumes that the motor is outwardly stock and everything is hooked up. I'm pretty sure you have a dual-bed cat, and I think you're probably screwed for getting rid of the pump. Then again, it might be interesting to try and see what happens ....

Last edited:

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
.... or maybe you could find the chip from the computer for an older version of the same motor that had a three-way cat (no air tube) .... if there was one ....

ron chickadel

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 17, 2016
millsboro,de
MY FIREBIRD WENT THROUGH with no pump. make air filter is very clean , run a can of seafoam (wholecan) though gas tank week before. goodluck ron .

LukeZ

G-Body Guru
Apr 24, 2015
Delaware
I do have a dual bed cat with the tube coming out of the side, so maybe I'm better off not removing the smog pump, oh well. I don't want to go through all that trouble to not have my car run properly and possibly not pass inspection. Thanks guys

Garrett1982

G-Body Guru
May 18, 2014
Uniontown, Pa
Not sure about Delaware, you would have to read into it, but in Pa you are emission exempt and not subject to a visual inspection of the emissions parts if you are registered as a classic. Of course you are limited to less than 5000 miles a year so this wouldn't work for a daily driver, and I know from your other threads that is what you are using this car for. This is where another car would come in handy.

LukeZ

G-Body Guru
Apr 24, 2015
Delaware
Not sure about Delaware, you would have to read into it, but in Pa you are emission exempt and not subject to a visual inspection of the emissions parts if you are registered as a classic. Of course you are limited to less than 5000 miles a year so this wouldn't work for a daily driver, and I know from your other threads that is what you are using this car for. This is where another car would come in handy.
It's the same here in DE, but thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor