Removing the AC unit and other Accessories under hood!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Brezz

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 1, 2008
Newark, De
Man, I really could use the help on the "how to" of removing the AC unit from my 87 Cutlass. I attend UTI and am picking up the trade now. I am like 4 Months into my 13 month program, and just haven't taken HVAC class yet. How do I release the pressure from the lines and what exactly do I remove? Thanks for your time fella's and this is my first visit to this site, and I'm diggin it so I'll talk to ya'll soon, I'm sure! 8)

Mr. Brezz

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 1, 2008
Newark, De
PS

I already removed the Air pump and put on aftermarket air filter housing and PCV replaced. Anything else you can think of that I could remove in order to clean up that Spaggetti that GM put under there!

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
The proper way to relieve the pressure is to hook it up to a refrigerent machine and have that evacuate it. It also depends on if the a/c works or not also. In mine it had a leak in it so it had nothing inside it so I just disconnected it.

Mr. Brezz

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 1, 2008
Newark, De
dan2286 said:
The proper way to relieve the pressure is to hook it up to a refrigerent machine and have that evacuate it. It also depends on if the a/c works or not also. In mine it had a leak in it so it had nothing inside it so I just disconnected it.

I know it needs to be recharged but it is R12 so whats the point? Besides I only "Roll" in it. So it ain't a daily driver. AC just isn't importaint. Cleaning up the engine area is what I'm focused on.

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
Basically what I was saying is that it is illegal to release refrigerant into the air. If their is anything left in their it should be evacuated with the machine. Look for the service port and push the little needle in and see if any thing comes out(its set up like a tire valve). If anything comes out it should be evacuated with a machine. If nothing comes out you can just take everything in the a/c system out with out having it evacuated.

yourownself

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2008
stoughton, ma
let me know if you do plan on releasing refrigerant into the atmosphere, cuz last time i checked, there was a hefty reward from the EPA if you report someone releasing r12 into the air and i could use the money 8) :twisted:

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
dan2286 said:
Basically what I was saying is that it is illegal to release refrigerant into the air. If their is anything left in their it should be evacuated with the machine. Look for the service port and push the little needle in and see if any thing comes out(its set up like a tire valve). If anything comes out it should be evacuated with a machine. If nothing comes out you can just take everything in the a/c system out with out having it evacuated.

you can use a tire pressure gauge to see what the pressure is and that will tell you how much is still in the system...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor