removing the vinyl top

Status
Not open for further replies.

alphamale

Apprentice
Jan 29, 2009
Georgia
I want to remove the vinyl top off my cutlass and go bare metal. I took the molding off today and revealed several rivets that held the molding on. Has anyone gone from vinyl to metal before and if so how much work was involved? I plan on getting a paint job eventually so if body work is in order that is fine. Thanks for the input.

Bud

crappycutlass

Master Mechanic
May 28, 2007
hey bud.. do a search if i recall a few weeks ago somebody asked this same question... and i posted pics of mine and i think a few others did the same..

good luck.. its a pain.

alphamale

Apprentice
Jan 29, 2009
Georgia
thanks for the help. I did search it and got a lot of good info. I think I will wait to pull the top all the way off until I am ready to paint though. First I have to drop the 350 Buick in, then the exterior, then the interior. baby steps.

crappycutlass

Master Mechanic
May 28, 2007
got any pics?... i have seen vinyl tops come off and be great... others... no so much..

at all about the seam where the roof is welded on... IMO

79cutlass_on_crutches

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 16, 2008
Moberly, MO
I'm worried about mine, too...we'll see come spring, when I can start doing some "bodywork" ...best of luck with yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor