REPLACE THE CALIPER???

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOXCARS

Master Mechanic
Apr 29, 2017
I replaced my LS1 brakes with Corvette 14" brakes, new rotors, new Hawk pads, and rebuilt calipers. I didn't feel as though my car was stopping as well with the larger brakes, and I noticed that, 450 miles in, that part of the rotor surface on the driver side was not making full contact with the new Hawk shoes which you can see in the photos below. I even made marks with a magic marker and drove the car 100 miles last night and the marks are still there. I can exchange the reconditioned caliper for another, no problem, but also I feel that in a few more miles the shoes will wear in. So, is it worth the bother or replacing the caliper or not? That's my question. What's your opinion? :confused:

kalidromos13

Master Mechanic
Oct 12, 2016
Palmdale, CA
How does it stop? Does it pull to one side?

BOXCARS

Master Mechanic
Apr 29, 2017
No, brakes not pulling either way and the pads are not higher than the rotor.

kalidromos13

Master Mechanic
Oct 12, 2016
Palmdale, CA
You said you are using a 14" rotor? I believe the C5 calipers you are using are for a 13" rotor...that could be your problem as to why the pad doesn't touch on the lower part of the rotor, but you said the other side is making full contact?

BOXCARS

Master Mechanic
Apr 29, 2017
You said you are using a 14" rotor? I believe the C5 calipers you are using are for a 13" rotor...that could be your problem as to why the pad doesn't touch on the lower part of the rotor, but you said the other side is making full contact?

I have the adapter brackets to use 14" rotors with C5/C6 calipers. Fit is correct, but you see the problem I'm having. As I said, the shoes will wear in but something isn't 100% right, but will correct as pad wears in. The problem is, it's easier for me to not bother than to replace the caliper, so just looking for opinions and feedback. :)

kalidromos13

Master Mechanic
Oct 12, 2016
Palmdale, CA
If it doesn't feel safe and you feel like the braking is lacking, then i would replace it.

BOXCARS

Master Mechanic
Apr 29, 2017
No, really, they feel fine, more than adequate, but not as good as my previous LS1 brakes which I've had for 6 or 7 years, and that's why I've been keeping an eye on the new brakes since I put them on last month, discovering they're not breaking in evenly. Who's to say this is not a frequent problem that any user wouldn't be aware of? If I decide to not replace the caliper, I expect the pads to wear in to where I have 100% contact.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

BOXCARS

Master Mechanic
Apr 29, 2017
I decided, rather than exchange the caliper for another, I would just allow the pads to wear in. They're not off by much. The inside of the rotor is wearing evenly, and only the outside is not quite there. I think it's just that my rotors are so visible that I noticed. It's probably a common defect that goes away over time, as the pads wear in. Thanks all for your suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor