replaced tach, still doing same thing

Status
Not open for further replies.

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
Searched internet and only found a few coils with the WHITE WIRE........WILL this really make a difference?

1979 OLDSMOBILE CUTLASS CALAIS Taylor Replacement HEI High Output Coils 718225
tachfilter5.jpg

Last edited:

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
By the way I do NOT have any hard starting issues or backfiring as described in the notes above regarding the difference in the
yellow wire versus white wire coil swap.

Thought I'd better mention that, since it goes against what the article says CAN be an issue.

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
I wanted to try to revive my thread JUST to see if ANYONE has changed out the coil from yellow wire to white and had the tach work properly?

I have boxes of parts purchased over the years to FIX a problem only to find they didn't. To throw $50 at a coil is not bad, but $50 is $50.

I can always use it to buy more cat food..............and neighbors know I don't own a cat. So judgemental.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
If the coil makes that much difference, how do you explain aftermarket offferings by Davis, Hypertech, Accell, MSD, etc....
Accell still list two HEI coils dependig on GM application.
Accell white wire HEI coil
Accell yellow wire HEI coil

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
Accell still list two HEI coils dependig on GM application.
Accell white wire HEI coil
Accell yellow wire HEI coil

Thanks for the posts........I'll try to see if I can determine what the difference is.........

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Go back and read the article posted about how the coils match the VR sensors. You'll be chasing your tail if you don't know what you're looking for. Pull the cap, coil, and rotor, then see which sensor you have in the bottom. THAT is what determines which coil you should have.

Reactions: 1 user

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
Go back and read the article posted about how the coils match the VR sensors. You'll be chasing your tail if you don't know what you're looking for. Pull the cap, coil, and rotor, then see which sensor you have in the bottom. THAT is what determines which coil you should have.

Will do........I googled VR sensor and now I understand what you meant. I just haven't had time to get back to the car. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor