replaced tach, still doing same thing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Max Headroom

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2011
So you are new to working on cars. At 67, I'm pretty new too. As you can tell from my post, auto electronics is my specialty. So, if you have any more questions about the little barrel bomb looking thing, let me know. I have almost 15 minutes of experience about auto electronics and am always willing to share my vast store of knowledge. You got anything else under the hood that looks like fireworks or explosives??

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, I see said the blind carpenter who picked up his hammer and SAW.....(humor here)

some people have complained about my humorous postings not being humorous...........

Wow.........You are right............by the time I buy a coil and and such I may as well just stab a new distributor in.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
So you are new to working on cars. At 67, I'm pretty new too. As you can tell from my post, auto electronics is my specialty. So, if you have any more questions about the little barrel bomb looking thing, let me know. I have almost 15 minutes of experience about auto electronics and am always willing to share my vast store of knowledge. You got anything else under the hood that looks like fireworks or explosives??

HAHAHAHAHAHA that is good.....just be careful..........some members here get their feathers ruffled with our Ol' Skool humor.......it's nice to know
there's another one of me out there.......my Dad did travel a lot.........maybe we are brothers!!!!

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
Just an update,

yesterday was the first real "TEST" for the H/O. Drove it over 200 miles yesterday and with the tach reading 6,000 RPM's and the speedometer
needle bouncing from 60 to 80.....it was a fun 3.5 hour drive guessing my speed.

All the previous shake down runs were short ones but this run found the weakness in the muffler set up, as it rattled like a Diamond Back in the desert.
Of course the front seal on the transmission still leaked. Amazingly the MPG was pretty good considering hanging with the 70-80 crowd on I-10.

I did get a thumbs up from another driver checking out the H/Os faded, nearly non-existant cracked paint. He knew class when he saw it. Maybe
thinking the car was so fast the paint couldn't stay adhered to the metal.

Considering it's been a year since I towed this non running, ignored piece of Arizona sun baked metal, and now, after many $$$$ and many hours
at least I know it can get me there and back which is more than I can say about some of my other rides.

Now onward and upward with a new longer list of repairs discovering even more surprises this H/O has in store for me. Stay tuned.

Reactions: 3 users

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Kentville,Nova Scotia,Canada
Just an update,

yesterday was the first real "TEST" for the H/O. Drove it over 200 miles yesterday and with the tach reading 6,000 RPM's and the speedometer
needle bouncing from 60 to 80.....it was a fun 3.5 hour drive guessing my speed.

All the previous shake down runs were short ones but this run found the weakness in the muffler set up, as it rattled like a Diamond Back in the desert.
Of course the front seal on the transmission still leaked. Amazingly the MPG was pretty good considering hanging with the 70-80 crowd on I-10.

I did get a thumbs up from another driver checking out the H/Os faded, nearly non-existant cracked paint. He knew class when he saw it. Maybe
thinking the car was so fast the paint couldn't stay adhered to the metal.

Considering it's been a year since I towed this non running, ignored piece of Arizona sun baked metal, and now, after many $$$$ and many hours
at least I know it can get me there and back which is more than I can say about some of my other rides.

Now onward and upward with a new longer list of repairs discovering even more surprises this H/O has in store for me. Stay tuned.

Good to hear that you got it out for a nice drive.
It's good to find any "bugs" early in the season and get them fixed up.
I hope that you get the tach issue figured out.
Mine started acting up shortly after I bought it.Turned out it was the filter,which was still available from GM back then.
When it started acting up again,the filter was'nt available any longer,so I just took it out.
Third time turned out it was the tach itself,so I got a new one from Mike's Montes and never had a problem since then.
You've gone through all this and still have problems..
But I'm sure that you'll get it sooner or later,hopefully sooner !!
Guy

Reactions: 1 users
Feb 4, 2018
1979 Olds, original tach was reading 500 rpms high at times. Does go to zero when key is turned on. Then when engine starts, rpms still go about 500 too high and
then becomes even more inaccurate at times. The needle does NOT sweep and swing.

Someone mentioned a ground issue but what ground is there to the tach?

Also I did try to solder a wire between the 8 and center contact to do away with the red plastic switch. See pic View attachment 142037

I replaced the original tach with a new tach which still has the red plastic switch, and it is behaving the same way as the original.

Where would there be a ground issue????????
I have an auto meter 5” that flat would not work. I even bought a tach adapt unit and still nothing. I went through my MSD instructions a 100 times. It was the ground!!!! For mine.

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
I have an auto meter 5” that flat would not work. I even bought a tach adapt unit and still nothing. I went through my MSD instructions a 100 times. It was the ground!!!! For mine.
BUT WHERE DID YOU FIND THE BAD GROUND? That would help me a lot...................

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I would try lube for the speedo. I have ran the red and yellow coil on Olds but not with a tach. I would pick up a used factory HEI and maybe swap the whole distributor in, it very well could be the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor