Replacing a g body windshield

Status
Not open for further replies.

Csilvy2000

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2012
Texarkana, AR
Thanks for all the input. I've had new windshields in old cars before. The difference is night and day. Great Website!

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
I removed my old cracked windshield myself so I could clean up some minor surface frame rust. The glass shop that installed the new one didn't have a problem with me cleaning up and repainting my windshield frame since I used epoxy primer, the good stuff. Most shops are willing to remove the old glass on a rusty frame, but you must repair the rust or they will refuse to install new glass. Burtyl tape is only for the quarter windows on G bodies, front and rear glass needs urethane.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I realize urethane is the way to go. But did the glass shop use any type of tape as a dam so that the urethane caulk didn't ooze out into the car? I noticed when I removed my windshield, there was what appeared to be a foam strip which I assume was some type of dam for the caulk. Can anyone elaborate on that ?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
they didn't when they replaced mine, they just put a bead on the window's edge and put the window in place..

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Thanks Steve,
I suppose some shops have their own methods of how they install glass. Most use a similar method.
So in your case, the installer actually ran a bead on the glass itself, rather than on the frame. And again, everyone has a method of what works for them.

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.
Longroof 79 said:
Thanks Steve,
I suppose some shops have their own methods of how they install glass. Most use a similar method.
So in your case, the installer actually ran a bead on the glass itself, rather than on the frame. And again, everyone has a method of what works for them.
They apply a V shaped bead of urethane about 5/8 thick to the glass after they clean and primer the edge surface.
The special tip on the tube allows for just enough sealer to be applied so you should not get any running out into the car.

Attachments

• imagesCAIMKMFH.jpg
    imagesCAIMKMFH.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 853

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Thanks Paul.
I've learned something new today. I always wondered how they were able to place a somewhat even bead of caulk to the surface.

robert56

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 4, 2010
I paid $215 for a new windshield including installation last year. Let them install it. I tried to install the back glass myself to save the $60 they wanted to do it at the same time. Turns out the 3M urethane windsheild sealant is so thick that you have to have forearms like a gorilla to get it to come out using a manual caulking gun and by the time you lay a complete bead around the opening, the beginning of the bead has started to cure. Guess that's why the professional installer had an electric caulk gun...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor