Reproduction Dash Panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Somebody thought that the extra speaker openings were a good idea but I think they look awkward and goofy.

Could not agree more.

Reactions: 1 user

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
And I wonder why the glovebox door and steering column shroud are included...perhaps it is different there than the originals

Reactions: 1 users

SSdeuce87

n00b
Jan 21, 2017
Might just be me but i like the round speakers, would like it better without the two center speakers...but i think they are out of their minds on the price..talk about overkill

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I love that it's made in the USA.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Dixie Restoration Depot

Greasemonkey
GBodyForum Sponsor
Oct 24, 2016
Manchester, CT
You guys have raised a lot of valid questions and concerns. We always appreciate feedback and hopefully we can address all of these issues.

With regard to price, comparing this dash with what GM used to offer is not comparing apples with apples. Manufacturing and materials have changed greatly since the 1980's. If GM still had NOS dashes available, we would be paying a whole lot more for a very different product. Our dash is made up of no less than 13 molds for plastic components and 5 metal mounting brackets. Each is built with UV resistant ABS plastic, color sprayed and then top coated with an extremely durable clear that has a soft, vinyl-like feel. Our dash is made in the USA and assembled by hand. Given how resource intensive it is, we can only make a limited number of them at a time, which does push the cost up a bit. While we feel it is well worth the retail price, we are actively investigating ways to make production more economical going forward without sacrificing quality.

The steering column panel and glove box door were not included with the dashes on the 1st production run several years ago. This did lower the price, but it came at a visual cost. Unfortunately, there is no way to make 29+ year old factory panels match our new paint and clear coating. Why spend all that time and money to have a big glove box door sticking out like a sore thumb?

All of the factory parts will work on the dash. Some require modifications while others do not. For people wanting the least amount of modifications, we have radio plates and vent panels that fit directly without modification.

We offer discounts for customers wanting to purchase one of our clusters at the same time. These would also get the same paint treatment to match. There are quite a few gauge cluster options on our website. We have also built clusters using specific Auto Meter gauges requested by customers, as well as Dakota Digital's VHX line. Of course, adding gauges and all the trim bezels adds to the cost. The picture below shows an example we did for a customer who requested Auto Meter gauges and a full black-out look.

As always, we welcome any other questions or concerns you may have about the dash. To learn more about your specific application, please give us a call (877-243-4943). We will do our best to make it work for your budget.

dash.jpg

• Informative

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
That looks good in the vehicle. The crooked glove box door is likely from incorrect assembly? While I realize that costs would be through the roof if you did a slush/FIP Instrument panel like the original it would have been nice. The one pictured doesn't have the top mount speakers...is that an option? Also does it meet FMVSS 201 government safety requirement from the 80's?

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I like that it's made in the USA. Please don't send your production to China.

• Agree

Dixie Restoration Depot

Greasemonkey
GBodyForum Sponsor
Oct 24, 2016
Manchester, CT
The crooked glove box door is likely from incorrect assembly?
It appears that the glove box door could use a little alignment.

The one pictured doesn't have the top mount speakers...is that an option?
Yes, that is an older picture from our first production run. We currently only offer a 4-speaker option. We hope to bring back the stock style in the future.

Also does it meet FMVSS 201 government safety requirement from the 80's?
No, the dash has not been safety tested or certified.

Andebe

Greasemonkey
Mar 6, 2017
Indiana
Aesthetically its pleasing,financially...I might put it on my,"if I have stupid money list"

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor