Resonator placement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I am putting back on the droning exhaust on the 70S. Sounds good outside, inside, not so much. I plan on adding a pair of 12" long resonators. Just before the mufflers or just before the exhaust tips are the only real options for placement. Vibrant supposedly recommends mid way in the vehicle. What say you?

83StreetMachine

Master Mechanic
Dec 16, 2011
Central NJ
So you have any good quality sound deadening on the inside of the car?

I'm sure you realize, adding resonators to the exhaust will change the way it sounds.

Last edited:

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
if you put them before the mufflers,it will cut down on the amount of noise going into them there fore there's less for the mufflers to carry on with.the further back you put the mufflers(i know you're not moving those) the less you'll hear in the cab.these car's floor pan's real estate i'd put them where they fit the best.

Reactions: 1 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I have some 3M sound deadening mat, I will try that first. I am thinking just before the mufflers is the spot.

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
Do you have an X pipe? Sound deadening is a Band-Aid. Also do the pipes exit the rear or the sides of the car? I like your resonator idea. At this point in my life I don’t need all that noise. I have the hooker LS swap system on my car and I changed the mufflers because it was too loud for me.

Reactions: 1 user

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Cats are really effective. But, yes - half way down is ideal.

Reactions: 1 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Yes, it has a X pipe and the tail pipes exit behind the rear bumper. I ran this system without tail pipes, just turn downs, way too loud but the tail pipes didn't help as much as I wanted.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I wonder why GM put the resonators under the trunk pan if midway is ideal? Because they were being used in conjunction with quiet mufflers anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor