respray & other changes complete

Status
Not open for further replies.

popeye1978

Greasemonkey
Jul 4, 2014
Thanks for the compliments, guys

I'm thinking the vinyl top was dealer-installed as -- somewhat similar to Injectedcutty's experience -- the rear window trim was covered with glue from the vinyl top, took me 3 or 4 hours one Saturday afternoon to remove all that gunk. (nice job with the transplant, BTW!)

If anyone's curious, it's paint code WA9567 from a 2012-2014 color chip book ... my other research says the Code 11 from the '80s was WA3967 so it may be splitting hairs if they're different, I just know this one is VERY white (something like 640 parts white of 650 parts total). Reminds me that soon after I bought the car I picked-up some aluminum sheeting from Tractor Supply and made 6x8 samples of different colors I was considering -- NONE of them white -- and did a poll at work ... after talking with guys as they gave me their feedback, I started doing some more image searches on google and went with white

I'm kinda proud of the Rallyes as they play-into what I did with the taillights -- they both have the embossed Oldsmobile logo from the '70s (I like that version better than what was used in the '80s), the SSII/SSIII-size sticker on the wheels and the SSI-size sticker on the taillights. I learned some of the art of making silicone-rubber molds to make plastic parts in order to replicate the plastic pieces that normally are the Olds logo on the taillights ('86 - '88 I mean), it's not visible in the before pictures but one of the taillights was missing the logo/piece, I figured it would look odd if the stickers on the taillights weren't at the same "level".

Last, that's my '67 Mustang in the garage. Had a shop in Virginia do a complete restoration, it was completed December 2010 ... my dad bought it brand-new and it was a daily driver until about '85 when he parked it to start his own restoration but didn't make much headway. I was home on Pre-Deployment Leave in 2004 when over dinner he asked if I'd take it if he would get it running, the "before" pictures of that one also are night/day when compared to now.
It's a 289 2-bbl with a 3-speed automatic, changes from stock are:
- color change from Forest Green to Spanish Olive Pearl
- rack-and-pinion steering
- Front disc brakes
- Retro-looking modern radio
- Holley carburetor to replace the Autolite 2100
- Replaced the clock in the instrument panel with a mini-tachometer

Reactions: 1 user

L67ss

Royal Smart Person
Dec 8, 2016
Yeah one thing I learned on fords is a holley carb is always a good upgrade over a stock ford carb

Last edited:

bbarbulo

Apprentice
Dec 2, 2014
Windsor ON
tasty marshmallow right there!! I didn't hate the old wheels but they are too wide for a spoked wheel. I really dig the overall look of the car. Also a great story behind the mustang, that's what cars are all about right there!

popeye1978

Greasemonkey
Jul 4, 2014
Thanks
The old wheels didn't fit my vision for the car but I do somewhat like them -- they're not BAD wheels but a bit gaudy for my taste, a bit oversized (the paint shop insisted I get the new wheels to them before they started applying color due to rubbing concerns), and as the tires were 16 years old when I bought the car (!) I was going to have to replace the tires anyway.

Again, the old wheels are still for sale :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor