Restoring a '64 Impala

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keep_Floatin

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 6, 2010
Not exactly a G Body, but this is still a classic car and I'm definitely looking to restore it. It's my grandpa's 4 door 1964 Chevy Impala that's been sitting in my back yard for just over 17 years now. I know I'm in for it if I decide to restore it, but it holds a lot of sentimental value as it was my grandfather's. It's the family sedan model so it's only got a 3.8L Straight Six 140HP engine. Probably not gonna bother cause it's rusted to hell and so small. Body is rusted but the interior is so amazing. All black and in perfect condition. No tears and only problem is back by the rear window. The upholstery is peeling back. Body is rusted pretty much all over, roof is all dented in, don't even know what's going on underneath the car. Taking a look at these pictures, what would you guys say I'd need to do to get it running/body work done and how much for a full restoration? What can I do myself (a novice)? Probably looking to give it a lowrider look. I have also cleaned out the entire inside and took all that crap off the top of it.

I had a '64 Impala as my first car when I was a teenager. My parents bought the car new. It was much like yours, 4 dr sedan, 6 cylinder, powerglide automatic, standard steering & brakes. I always really liked all of the chrome & stainless trim, and the 6 taillights, and the white band above the taillights. I can't get all of your photos, because of my dial-up internet, but I would say to keep the car fairly stock looking. There are plenty of upgrade & reproduction parts available. Enjoy the car and have some fun with it. I'm sure your grandpa would be proud.

Can anyone give a quote on this as well as what I can do on my own?

I would say if throw in a 350 in it and a 350 turbo trans luckly 60's impala not to difficult to work on and you can find reproducation parts everywhere but of course oiginal always better but on how much your going to spend depends how much work you do yourself if I was you I'll try to do most of the work yourself becuase although its a very nice car they are not nearly as worth as much your going to spend on it body work definlty the first thing you should start on and good luck if you need anything hit me up eithere though I have never owned a 60's impala I have helped rebuild many and being around my brother who has a 63 sports coupe I have learned almost about everything every inch of these vehicales LOL one thing to have in mind whats the car worth to you if it means alot to you money shouldnt be an issue but take your time patience is the key especially me since I dont have lots of cash to just dump on a car at once. Like I said need anything shoot me a message I grew up around lowriders

I wanna start by sanding it all down and getting rid of the rust. Could I just go at it with a sanding block or would I need to go bigger and use a sandblaster? What are the steps in sanding it down, should I go all over and just sand it down or use Phosphoric acid and get rid of the rust that way? The car most likely has spots where it's rusted all the way through as well so I might need to use some body filler and then sand that down to make sure it's all even.

I'm not a bodyman. But, do not sandblast the sheet metal such as fenders and such. Sandblasting builds up heat and that heat can warp the thin panels. If they warp, you'll never get them straight again and will need replaced. Suspension parts and such are fine to 'blast.

I'd get some type of power sander to sand the panels. Air or electric. And, do small sections and prime when done or they'll just rust back up over night.

Nice project. Take your time and do it right.

Well, for starters, get all that junk out of the inside and off of the outside, and give the car a good bath.
Of course, with any project like this, you really need a garage to put it in while it's disassembled.

Pull the interior out and store it away safely, since you said it's in good shape.
Pull the exterior trim next. Be careful with it.
The trim is more likely to be damaged by improper removal/installation than being on the car.
Then have the car soda blasted. They can come right to you and do it in your driveway.
Once the car is stripped of it's paint/rust, you can further evaluate if the car is worth it, or just parts car material...

The car's been cleaned out and just sitting there, waiting to be worked on. So I need clean up the inside of the body as well? Was hoping I'd just need to do the outside and under the hood.

GioMeza said:
The car's been cleaned out and just sitting there, waiting to be worked on. So I need clean up the inside of the body as well? Was hoping I'd just need to do the outside and under the hood.
I think Blake was talking about cleaning up the inside interior of the car as the pics you posted show that it needs to be worked a bit......Good luck with it and keep us updated on your project ..

my next project is a 64 2 door. that thing since it is a 4 door would make for a pretty sweet rat rod style cruiser!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor