Reverse Light Switch Adjustment

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
if you don't have a long 5/8 socket you can use a 5/8 spark plug socket and once you break the torque on the nut you can spin them off with your fingers

mickeypowa

Greasemonkey
Nov 19, 2016
Tahiti - French Polynesia
hi guys!!
I come back here because after many tries it's impossible for me to put the switch back in place.
I removed the 2 5/8 nuts and the direction axe moved maybe 5 cm down.
But impossible to put the clip back in place, I would like to move more the direction axe to have a better access.
SO I tried to remove a screw on the axe in the engine compartment : but Impossible to pull out the steering wheel and direction axe.

Is it possible to pull out the dash side of the direction axe (with the steering wheel) ?

Is it normal to have some oil leeking on the direction axe ? should I change this part ?

Thanks !!

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
With the 2 nuts removed the column should drop far enough to rest on the seat. If you want to remove the column there are bolts on a plate on the firewall that you remove and disconnect the intermediate shaft. Remove the wire harnesses attached to the column and you can remove the column from the car.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Is the clip broken? There is a tooth on the clip that locks it in place - makes them hard to remove but not so hard to push on. Take a picture and maybe we can tell you how to deal with it.

Either the previous owner packed the joint with grease, or oil from an engine leak collected in the rubber bellows. It looks bad, but the joints were not meant to be lubricated, so you could just clean it up with detergent. Don't use brake cleaner or something else that will dry out (what's left of) the rubber.

mickeypowa

Greasemonkey
Nov 19, 2016
Tahiti - French Polynesia
I finally succeeded in putting the switch back in place, I replaced the clip by some homemade attachment and now it's ok, I have the reverse lights when I am in reverse mode, perfect !! thanks for your help !

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor