Rockatansky's Bold, Brash and Blocky 1978 Malibu Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrockatansky

Greasemonkey
Feb 14, 2016
Toronto
Apologies to everyone for such a delay in my updates and for not being able to contribute to the forum more. As of late things have been absolutely hectic with lots of business travel and about 1000000 other things on the go.

Just a quick update to let everyone know the project and I are both still alive and kicking.

And contrary to popular opinion I am far from bankrupt, well for now.

Looking forward (way down the line) to my next project where assuming I actually have the time, I can attempt most of the building myself as I have learned so very much from this build and all of you good people.

Quick update before I dash.

Car is finished paint and body and safely home at Motorhead Speed Shop (Misha's).

I am pleased with the result as its mostly perfect (nothing some clay bar and my time cant fix) and price was right.

Besides I think judging from his build(s) if I had wanted perfect I should have talked about shipping my car to HAFROD who's own current project actually blows my mind.

We have started with replacing suspension and many, many parts... Did I mention I had a field day on summit lately? I can thank a delayed flight, boredom and an internet connection for that. Ah, the internet what a wonderful thing.

SOOOOOO

Lots of news soon and a car on the road whilst still in SUMMER!

Hope all of you are having a great and safe summer yourselves.

Best,

M

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
The car looks great, Matt,
Keep up the good work. Post more pics of your upcoming progress.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
Looks great Matt!

Mrockatansky

Greasemonkey
Feb 14, 2016
Toronto
So this update is going to be like a drive by shooting. Quick, not very accurate and kinda messy.

Busy as a beaver over here. Car SHOULD be on the road by Friday. Actually no, it WILL BE. Failure is not an option. *Fingers Crossed*

Lets start with the heart of the beast:

Block honed and crank ground a tad. Overall everything bottom end was in excellent shape. Upgraded to some Hyperteutectic pistons that I think were a good choice. Engine assembly will be finished over the next few days.

Suspension is half in and the rear LCA swap is going well. Dropped the rear axle to install a nice Hellwig sway bar. Decided this was a must after a nice conversation with Mark Savitske. Also went with some SPC lowering springs 1.3 drop in front and 1" in the back.

Finished up the Jeep steering shaft and quick ratio steering box too.

Interior work has been something that I seem to have been doing endlessly but time well spent as the efforts bringing the seat components and interior trim panels back to life are turning out wonderfully.

Before:

After:

Still using the SEM Satin Black with SEM Clear on top. For the seat tracks assembly I used a foam brush and Tremclad. Followed by some liberal white lithium grease for the tracks themselves.

Back at it again tomorrow (took some time off work for this) so should have some really good pics and videos by weekend.

Also, Jack, sorry for not answering the query you made some ages ago. That is indeed tweed. Unfortunately it doesn't photo very well. It looks very very light as opposed to in person where it is much more balanced and darker. Some sort of optical illusion I suppose.

Here is a closer look:

Best to all.

M

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

mymontess

Greasemonkey
Dec 23, 2014
North York, Ontario, Canada
You've accomplished a lot in a few short months. Look great. I read in your thread about your rocker panel issues, but still remarkably rust free- esp. for a local car. Should be a fun driver.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Matt,
Thanks for sharing and posting your recent updates. I like the tweed, it's a nice subtle touch.
How were you able to prep the plastic parts to look as good as they do? Usually when plastics dry out and turn chalky, there's not a heck of a lot you can do to them. I have experimented with scraping and sanding down the "dead layer" of plastic, but it depends on how compromised they are.
Keep up the great work, my friend. It's going to one cool, tastefully done street machine. :cool:

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor