OLDS Roller lifters in stock lifter bores. Available?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rfpowerdude

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2013
Palm Bay, Fla
Is there anybody who makes roller lifters for a stock Olds small block that doesn't require any machining for use? I would like to turn this 403 I'm putting back together into a roller cammed setup.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Reactions: 1 user

rfpowerdude

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2013
Palm Bay, Fla
Aha, I found the Howards on Summit also. I will never buy anything from MPP. I wonder how much shorter length the pushrods have to be (i.e. how much taller than stock are the rollers). I have a Comp adjustable roller tipped rocker setup in the #6 heads.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
From what I understand, you need to use an aftermarket intake with the drop in roller lifters, custom length pushrods (I don't know the nominal length needed), and at the very minimum any turkey tray gasket would need some trim work for clearance. Heard the stock intake hits as well, hence the need for an aftermarket intake. I was really contemplating that for the 85 rebuild as I have an NOS VIN9 roller cam I could use. But if the drop in lifters hit a stock intake, I don't know how much or where it would need trimmed to make it work correctly without interference. Of course, the stock roller setup would work better, but they're larger diameter and hardly a drop in.

Reactions: 2 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Aha, I found the Howards on Summit also. I will never buy anything from MPP. I wonder how much shorter length the pushrods have to be (i.e. how much taller than stock are the rollers). I have a Comp adjustable roller tipped rocker setup in the #6 heads.
Good question. I have the Erson roller lifters for my 358 but I am 4 hours from them, unfortunately. You will have to get a checker pushrod and figure out length. I am hoping to keep my #6 heads for my Olds 424 planned truck engine, plan C for the 358. Hopefully Edelbrock will deliver their new SBO heads this year sometime this year for the 358. Ported and milled Procomps are plan B. I won't be able to order push rods till I figure out which heads I have to use.

rfpowerdude

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2013
Palm Bay, Fla
If I know the dimensions of a stock lifter cam face to pushrod cup and then compare to the roller lifter dimensions, I will then know how much shorter they need to be from stock. Stock pushrod length is 8.234" (as far as I can tell), so they will be shorter by the amount that the rollers are taller subtracted from 8.234".

1KWIKSIX

Greasemonkey
Jun 26, 2017
Mississauga , Ontario, Canada
If I know the dimensions of a stock lifter cam face to pushrod cup and then compare to the roller lifter dimensions, I will then know how much shorter they need to be from stock. Stock pushrod length is 8.234" (as far as I can tell), so they will be shorter by the amount that the rollers are taller subtracted from 8.234".
Unless the last valve job has your installed seat heights all over the map.
Spend the few bucks it costs for a push rod checker so you can determine the exact length after adding your (0.030”-0.050” lifter pre-load).
No need to second guess this critical measurement , you wanna get it right the first time ! 😉

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

rfpowerdude

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2013
Palm Bay, Fla
I have an adjustable valvetrain, so probably not an issue for small differences.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I have an adjustable valvetrain, so probably not an issue for small differences.
Checking pushrod length and degreeing my cam are two things I always do and the best way to insure a good wear pattern is by checking the pushrod length, it is nice to know everything is right.

rfpowerdude

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2013
Palm Bay, Fla
True, can't be too short or too long with an expectation that the valvetrain adjustability will take up the slack. The roller tip needs to average over the center of the valvestem. I was going to check that to be sure it's not too far one way or the other.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor