Rust???

Status
Not open for further replies.

J.Rod22

Greasemonkey
Oct 4, 2009
Georgia
My cutlass has rust on the roof is it done for? What can be done to fix this?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    333.6 KB · Views: 841
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    459 KB · Views: 908

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
Take the trim off and sand the rust down, if it is rusted through it will need a new piece of metal welded it. Is the car done for, far from it that is a common spot to rust, just like the rear quarters and doors.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Worst case scenario, you have to remove the windshield to repair it. Does it leak?
Spots like that can usually be cleaned up without replacing metal, as long as it's not getting too thin.

J.Rod22

Greasemonkey
Oct 4, 2009
Georgia
Can someone write step by step of what to do to fix this including the materials I will need such as what grit of sandpaper and what kind of primer, etc. I have never done any body work at all

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
This is weird, its not a normal place for rust to show up in these cars. Looks like you'll have to take the window out to get at the problem. After you do that you'll want to wetsand the entire area thats rusted as much as you can with 220-300 wetdry. Get a can of rust cure at the auto store, after you've sanded to bare metal read the directions on the can and get a good quality spray primer and cover it up. If the car is going to sit a while in the elements before a real coat of paint you'll need to sand the primer with 600-800 wetdry and spray a cheap coat of auto paint (in a can). Then seal up the window and put the trim back on

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Tough call for a first time job the glass makes it complicated. First get the trim off to see how bad it is. You'll need a "GM windshield reveal molding removal tool". It looks like a scrapper with two hooked wings. You feel along under the trim and pull down to remove the molding from the clips. Some may break- they are available. The sides must come off first then the top trim. Clean all the crud from the channel and see if there are holes under the glass. If not you may get away with POR-15 ing the rusty area and finishing with body filler. See what's under there first.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
custom442 said:
This is weird, its not a normal place for rust to show up in these cars.

Haha, you southern guys are so spoiled... :lol:
You should take a look at my Malibu...

Honestly, coming from a body man, for somebody with no prior knowledge about refinishing, I'd say take it to a body shop.
If anything, just have them give you an estimate. Then you can decide how much your time is really worth to you. Starting from scratch, all the individual things you'll have to buy usually surpass the cost of just having the body shop do it, especially with such a small area like that.

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
Blake442 said:
Haha, you southern guys are so spoiled... :lol:
You should take a look at my Malibu...

we gotta worry about humidity before anything else. you should've seen my rockers after I left the valve covers off for a night, they had nasty brown oxidation all over them (I even put plastic over them and taped the heads off) :puke:

J.Rod22

Greasemonkey
Oct 4, 2009
Georgia
Ok I think I will take it to a body shop and get an estimate because its my daily driver and when it rains the windshield leaks in certain spots

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Even perfect metal gutters can leak from a bad windshield seal. Try this- remove reveal molding, clean gutter, wash with soapy water, hook up shop vac on reverse and blow at inside of glass, watch for the bubble show. You may have lots of leaks that have nothing to do with the rusty spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor