BUILD THREAD Rustier then I thought!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
Well bein from the north you wont find a rust free g body for less the 10k. Im not worried about money the frame actually solid the rear frame rails are good but the mount holes i assume are rusted. This my 4th g body this the best outa the bunch maybe my 81 calais was better. Anyway this car has value to me. My mom bought it for me and she just passed plus if we junk every g body that rusted thered be none left. Thanks for the advice guys i knew it was coming lol. Do you think i should seperate body from frame b4 i fix the floors ?i have a buddy with a sandblasted frame for 400 but pass ac mount needs fix

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
I have 2 friends 1 body man and 1 circle track guy. Dont get me wrong both are super busy but have already showed me how to weld sheet somewhat most of the welding i did was on thick steel in tge ironworkers union. Ive read enough on here to know that "sell it you cant do it " was coming and you know there probably right. But im stubborn i have a good job single dad(7 yr old boy) so this project could last a while. Thanks for the honesty and encouragement. Honestly its my fault ive had it 4 yrs covered outside but man they rust quick.

Reactions: 2 users

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
Well bein from the north you wont find a rust free g body for less the 10k. Im not worried about money the frame actually solid the rear frame rails are good but the mount holes i assume are rusted. This my 4th g body this the best outa the bunch maybe my 81 calais was better. Anyway this car has value to me. My mom bought it for me and she just passed plus if we junk every g body that rusted thered be none left. Thanks for the advice guys i knew it was coming lol. Do you think i should seperate body from frame b4 i fix the floors ?i have a buddy with a sandblasted frame for 400 but pass ac mount needs fix
Separating will give you better access to work. If the other frame is ALOT better than yours, go for it. But once you have yours out it would be easier to repair anything that needs attention.

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
Well bein from the north you wont find a rust free g body for less the 10k. Im not worried about money the frame actually solid the rear frame rails are good but the mount holes i assume are rusted. This my 4th g body this the best outa the bunch maybe my 81 calais was better. Anyway this car has value to me. My mom bought it for me and she just passed plus if we junk every g body that rusted thered be none left. Thanks for the advice guys i knew it was coming lol. Do you think i should seperate body from frame b4 i fix the floors ?i have a buddy with a sandblasted frame for 400 but pass ac mount needs fixed.

Not worried about the money? Seriously?

I have an ‘85 Regal roller body. 99.9% rust free. Several new parts. Glass cowl hood, etc. I’ve had it in the ad section for months for $1000. No takers. They are either very easy to find rust free or people are gluttons for punishment. I’m not that far out of the north east. It will probably end up in the hands of one of our local dirt track guys. Another one bites the dust.

• Wow
  • Dislike
Reactions: 2 users

Michael Watts

Master Mechanic
Dec 12, 2017
Its a Fisher body and in certain areas of the country "(especially where they use a lot of salt on the roads) a lot depends on your skills and your pocketbook on whether you want to tackle a car like this. And or go on to another car. Good luck to you.

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Been there, done that. Thought mine would take a month or two, then had back surgery and lost interest for awhile... In your position I'm not so sure if it's a good idea to do it. That's really only a question you can answer while being 100% honest with yourself. Are you going to take the two months you have off and actually work on it at least eight hours a day? Have you looked up prices of the parts you know you need? Now double that amount and you'll be close to what end up actually spending. Can you still afford to do it? I don't want to discourage you from doing it, just trying to be realistic.

Reactions: 1 users

michmalibuman

Royal Smart Person
Jun 14, 2017
I'm watching you and I think you should try it. Lots of help here. :cool:

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I would encourage you to do a complete and thorough assessment of the car before proceeding. What work is needed and what the parts will ultimately cost you. By all means learn to do as much of the work as you can, that's where the big bucks are.
Good luck! We're here to steer you in the right direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor