Rusty (new) cam - Anybody have experience polishing cam journals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
I think we've all wasted $25 on worse stuff than that.... hoping it works out, I love great deals!

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
t's a gamble... I might as well roll the dice!
Attaboy. How many times have we dragged home some great deal from a swap meet that turns out to be crap? The lifters alone are worth way more than $25.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

paul.m

Master Mechanic
Oct 20, 2018
I agree with clarmo , it greatly depends on what kinda build its going in . At 25 $ it,s gotta be good for something !

Reactions: 1 user

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
I agree with clarmo , it greatly depends on what kinda build its going in . At 25 $ it,s gotta be good for something !
B. U. D. G. E. T... He sent me some pics of the lifters, and they look good. They had not been out of the protective tube. I'm going to get it in the morning.

Reactions: 3 users

Kennybill

Master Mechanic
Mar 17, 2010
Braceville, Ohio
Been there, done that. I have a large roll of 1inch wide emory that I bought 20 years ago at a garage sale for 2 bucks. Whenever I want to clean up a crankshaft or a cam's journals I cut a couple of feet off the roll. I oil the bearing journal, oil the fabric backside of the emory cloth. Holding each end, Using back and forth around the journal. Stop, wipe journal, wipe the fabric side, re-oil everything, repeat. You'd be surprised how it'll clean up. Use fuild film, cosmolen, heavy grease then wrap for long time storage. In Ohio, unprotected stuff rust so fast. I was a little vague, I use the oiled cloth side of the long emory strip NOT the actual emory/sanding side.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
Been there, done that. I have a large roll of 1inch wide emory that I bought 20 years ago at a garage sale for 2 bucks. Whenever I want to clean up a crankshaft or a cam's journals I cut a couple of feet off the roll. I oil the bearing journal, oil the fabric backside of the emory cloth. Holding each end, Using back and forth around the journal. Stop, wipe journal, wipe the fabric side, re-oil everything, repeat. You'd be surprised how it'll clean up. Use fuild film, cosmolen, heavy grease then wrap for long time storage. In Ohio, unprotected stuff rust so fast.
Thanks for the testimony, and giving me a little reassurance.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
I wouldn't.

• Agree
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I had that cam in a 403, it is OK. As said, soak and access. Offer him a 20.

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
Alright guys... the results are in. I spent about 1.5 hours this afternoon polishing this cam. I used what I had... WD-40 and a red Scotchbrite pad. I did the entire cam, and this cam is a GO. I could probably install it as-is, but before I actually install it, I will purchase the correct grade emory cloth, and do a final polish. For now, I will apply some Lubri-Plate engine assembly lube, and bag it. I'm on the hunt for the next great deal. A carburetor, or a pair of #7 Olds 350 heads...

Thanks to everyone who replied. If this was a higher-budget build, this would have not even been considered. But that's not the case here. This 403 is going in my "Aeroback 2" project 78 Cutlass Salon, that has an anemic 110HP / 125 TQ 260ci V8. I believe I can triple that, and at least have a little fun driving it to cruise nights.
IMG_0693.JPG

IMG_0694.JPG

• Winner
Reactions: 12 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Alright guys... the results are in. I spent about 1.5 hours this afternoon polishing this cam. I used what I had... WD-40 and a red Scotchbrite pad. I did the entire cam, and this cam is a GO. I could probably install it as-is, but before I actually install it, I will purchase the correct grade emory cloth, and do a final polish. For now, I will apply some Lubri-Plate engine assembly lube, and bag it. I'm on the hunt for the next great deal. A carburetor, or a pair of #7 Olds 350 heads...

Thanks to everyone who replied. If this was a higher-budget build, this would have not even been considered. But that's not the case here. This 403 is going in my "Aeroback 2" project 78 Cutlass Salon, that has an anemic 110HP / 125 TQ 260ci V8. I believe I can triple that, and at least have a little fun driving it to cruise nights.
View attachment 106866
View attachment 106867
Great job James, the cam turned out great!!!! Definitely worth the effort!

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor