Status
Not open for further replies.

Buford T. JuSStice

Master Mechanic
Aug 16, 2010
Stealing this thread from a Z28 forum for the most part, with a few modifications for the purpose of providing a comprehensive parts list for a Blazer-S10 rear disc brake conversion. Second Gen F-Body enthusiasts do a similar conversion to what we do, except they use the 4WD set up for the passenger side, and the 2WD set up for the driver side in order to give them a staggered brake set up since that's how their suspension is in the back. Since we can't do this due to frame clearance issues, we have to use both sides off of a 2WD set up if we also want to guarantee clearance for 15" rims, which is the reason many of them do this as well.

Original thread and credit for (most) of this goes to Woody80Z28
http://nastyz28.com/forum/threads/s10-blazer-rear-disc-conversion.109454/

This is good for people who want rear disc brakes but can't do the LS1 conversion because they like the 15" rims that they have and aren't sure that the LS1 brakes will fit inside of them.

If something like this already exists, please disregard this thread. I didn't see it in the search.

Parts you will need:
  • 1 - Driver side 2WD backing plate (GM PN-15773308 whole e-brake assembly) (GM PN-12376603 for just the backing plate)
  • 1 - Passenger side 2WD backing plate (GM PN-15773309 whole e-brake assembly) (GM PN-12376604 for just the backing plate)
  • 8 - 3/8 bolts, lock washers and nuts to mount backing plate to rear housing
  • 3/8 washers to shim the backing plate for perfect fitment of the caliper to rotor (2 each bolt in my case)
  • 2 - Driver side and passenger side 2WD caliper, mix & match (Loaded kit w/ brackets & pads Cardone PN-164712) (Loaded kit w/ brackets & pads NAPA PN-TS 1422228)
  • 2 - Caliper brackets - if needed
  • 1 - Brake pad set - if needed (HWK-HB305Y-610)
  • 4 - caliper bracket bolts (GM PN-15726460)
  • 2 - banjo bolts (GM PN-10286122)
  • 2 - 2WD Blazer rotors (NAPA 4886725) (Powerslot 8638PSL & 8638PSR)
  • 1 - Master cylinder (80 disc/disc T/A, 79 disc/disc Vette, 70 manual disc/disc Vette all work)
  • 2 - Brake hoses (you can use stock Blazer hoses or any braided stainless ones with a 10mm banjo fitting)
  • 1 - Prop valve (stock 80 T/A works, I used a Summit adjustable)
  • New style brake cable (I used the Blazer cables, but Lokar universal would be less work)
  • Brake fluid, gear oil, axle seals
Rotor Specs
Outside diameter: 11.61"
Height: 2.87"
Thickness: .79"
Mounting face to friction surface: 2.08"
E-brake surface diameter: 7.5"

Caliper Specs
Aluminum
Single 1.875" piston
Floating

http://www.motortopia.com/album/view/p/cars/t/vehicle/v/182/a/8370/i/big_brakes_frontrear_disc

http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94303

Last edited:

Buford T. JuSStice

Master Mechanic
Aug 16, 2010
Not sure how much of that isn't true with our G-Body cars, but I thought I'd include it. The Master Cylinder I believe will still work stock from our cars, we just need to get the proportioning valve from a disc/disc vehicle, likely out of the same S10-Blazer that we get the rest of it out of.

*EDIT*
If anybody knows one way or the other for sure, I'll update it in this original post.

Last edited:

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
the blazers with those rear disc brakes didn't have proportioning valves. that feature is engineered into the abs system.

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I think 79 WS6 Trans Am is the magic disc/disc proportioning valve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor