sawtooth brake rotors

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlcustomz

G-Body Guru
Nov 22, 2011
Collecting vette parts for front brake upgrade, 14" rotors, May use my ls style calipers or possibly even the 6 piston units If autozone can get for the listed 84.99each. Making my brackets & likely will just mod my drop spindles & hubs, which I can do myself.
The sawtooth brake rotor modification I'm considering is for cosmetics only, I know it'll lower performance some ,but I don't autocross or race tracks .Do half of my braking with my 6 speed anyways most of the time. Wonder how much of a performance drop this mod would be. Figure the 14"diameter should more than make up for it even over a 12" rotor upgrade.
Opinions?? Here's a link to the custom made sawtooth rotors.
http://cdn.streetmusclemag.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/10/files/2011/02/RRwheels.jpg
https://www.google.com/search?q=bra...9KrYAhWILyYKHXRrCukQ_AUICigB&biw=1607&bih=767

also for anyone that can use this, here's a link I never saw before with rotor & caliper specs. Swap brackets are meant for 3rd gen f-bodies but still good info.
http://lukeskaff.com/projects/car/third-gen-f-body-brake-upgrade/upgrade-options-and-measurements/

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Mama always said.......
It's your car; do what you want. Personally, it looks like alot of time and/or money for a minor looking mod. It doesn't do anything for me.

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
as far as using the engine, clutch and transmission to stop the car I find rotors and brake pads more efficient and a hell of alot cheaper to replace

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 4 users

MC96

Master Mechanic
Dec 7, 2015
Ehhhh, having seen cracks develop on drilled wilwood rotors, I would stay away from something like this. It does look kinda neat, maybe just stay with scalloped rotors.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
That's an interesting look. Haven't seen it before.

My opinion? I guess it'll get plenty of attention at the shows. Not my cup O tea though. I do like the redline tires a lot.

Safety wise? Probably not optimal, like you pointed out. Still more surface area than stock Gbody brakes. Only one way to know how well they perform in real world application.

MC96

Master Mechanic
Dec 7, 2015
Off topic, check out these wheels http://www.deluxewheels.com/the-wheels/

The redline on the Plymouth is also in the wheel not the tire

That's an interesting look. Haven't seen it before.

My opinion? I guess it'll get plenty of attention at the shows. Not my cup O tea though. I do like the redline tires a lot.

Safety wise? Probably not optimal, like you pointed out. Still more surface area than stock Gbody brakes. Only one way to know how well they perform in real world application.

Reactions: 1 user

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Sure enough. Guess I should have zoomed in a little tighter.

Nov 4, 2012
as far as using the engine, clutch and transmission to stop the car I find rotors and brakes pads more efficient and a hell of alot cheaper to replace

This has always been my logic as well. Brake pads = easier to replace than clutch. Don't downshift unless you have to.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Ehhhh, having seen cracks develop on drilled wilwood rotors, I would stay away from something like this. It does look kinda neat, maybe just stay with scalloped rotors.

I think your the only other person to talk about the spider cracks spreading out from the drilled holes. I tried the Napa premium drilled rotors and returned them after 4 months due to the cracks.

carnutjw

G-Body Guru
Sep 17, 2017
The SCCA monthly magazine Sportscar had an article a while back about slotted and drilled rotors. My understanding is that drilled is more for appearance and can lead to cracks and potential failure under hard driving conditions(track use)., slotted is OK and may have a small positive effect on braking.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor