sbc cylinder head studs on passenger side with ac box?

Status
Not open for further replies.

crucial118

Royal Smart Person
Nov 15, 2008
MARYLAND, DMV
Anyone know if head studs will work on a g-body, with a sbc, with the ac/heater box still in on the passenger side? Thanks.

chevy2480

Royal Smart Person
Apr 28, 2010
williamstown nj 08094
With the heater box in they are a pita. Dont know what your motor combo is but in my opinion head studs are overkill for most street engines.

crucial118

Royal Smart Person
Nov 15, 2008
MARYLAND, DMV
The reason I'm asking is because the head bolt hole in the back on the passenger side stripped and I put in a thread insert that didn't line up exactly. Studs are a little more forgiving. Just want to know if it can be done with the heater box tho.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I would already question the fact that it does not line up exactly and obviously this would be a "bandaid" using a stud in an attempt to fix an improper angle, that being said I believe there is no way you can get a head on or off with studs in place and with the ac case still being installed.
If you are just trying to rig this then I suppose you could use a stud on the one spot and install after/during the head install (assuming the head is off)
If you decide to go this route look for quality studs that use an Allen wrench to tighten them, use the same lube or sealant as the rest of the head bolts.
Studs and bolts torque differently with the studs having less resistance and I would never mix them myself but that is your call.

crucial118

Royal Smart Person
Nov 15, 2008
MARYLAND, DMV
So studs won't work on the heater box side?

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
crucial118 said:
So studs won't work?

If you are talking about using a set of studs and trying to R & R the heads with the ac case in place then no.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Is this for the 406 in your signature? Studs work great but trying to do an in car head removal with them there will be interference issues since the passenger side has the heater/ac case and drivers side depending on the size brake booster that could be an issue.

crucial118

Royal Smart Person
Nov 15, 2008
MARYLAND, DMV
565bbchevy said:
Is this for the 406 in your signature? Studs work great but trying to do an in car head removal with them there will be interference issues since the passenger side has the heater/ac case and drivers side depending on the size brake booster that could be an issue.
Yup, for the 406. Thanks for the bad news. Was hoping it would work. What to do now?

Fox80

G-Body Guru
Jun 27, 2013
Jamestown NY
I agree that I wouldn't use just one stud to fix a problem you have to use them all, like the above post said if you get quality studs with the Allen type end on them, you can install all the studs after the head is sitting on the dowel pins, it's more time consuming but it's the only way

crucial118

Royal Smart Person
Nov 15, 2008
MARYLAND, DMV
Thanks for the replies. I picked up some ARP studs today and it worked. I put in the bottom row, short studs and the front and back medium length studs(the back one, by the firewall, was the one that was slightly off). After the head was on, I put the long ones in and hand tightened all, then torqued. So happy I didn't have to pull the block back out. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor