Sbc swap in 78 cutlass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
700r4 will require an aftermarket crossmember (or modifications to the original) and a frame extension for the driver's side on your car (and all G body prior to 1984)

Shane salon

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 22, 2016
700r4 will require an aftermarket crossmember (or modifications to the original) and a frame extension for the driver's side on your car (and all G body prior to 1984)
I would like to keep it more simple as possible and the trans my uncle has is a th400 not the 350 i miss understood

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
TH400 will require same mods as 700R4

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
If it's a cruiser not a hotrod, in the long run, the th350 will be way easier to use, and lighter too.

TH400 may require a different flexplate depending on torque convertor used. Starter nose will almost always need to be changed. These are because the TH400 usually uses the large flexplate (168 tooth), and most others use a smaller one (153 tooth). It's been a long time since I was swapping this stuff around frequently, so I'm sure some of the other guys can pick up my slack.

As I recall, some aftermarket flexplates have multiple TC bolt patterns on them.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
If it's a cruiser not a hotrod, in the long run, the th350 will be way easier to use, and lighter too.

TH400 may require a different flexplate depending on torque convertor used. Starter nose will almost always need to be changed. These are because the TH400 usually uses the large flexplate (168 tooth), and most others use a smaller one (153 tooth). It's been a long time since I was swapping this stuff around frequently, so I'm sure some of the other guys can pick up my slack.

As I recall, some aftermarket flexplates have multiple TC bolt patterns on them.

Shane salon

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 22, 2016

I plan on doing this swap for now but come this winter I'm making plans for a different swap it's just a cruiser for now but my next swap I wanna have a car with power something that I can drive on good days and some nights to play

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Ok anything else that you can think of

The TH400 will require a different slip yoke, and you will need to verify proper driveshaft length/slipyoke engagement into the trans

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Unless you are going to source a 350 trans I would go with the 700r4 since it would be only a little more work than swapping in a 400 plus the low first gear will help you get moving if you have your stock rear gear and you also have the benefit of not revving the engine really high if you go on the freeway.
And most aftermarket 168 tooth flexplates are dual bolt pattern and can be purchased for $30 from Summit Racing for non SFI versions

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor